I don’t think that it’s a secret exactly that I happen to be a massive fan of Borderlands. I’ve absorbed countless bullets in that game, and have watched Claptrap defeated by a flight of stairs at least a dozen times. So yes, I’m kind of excited for more Borderlands content. Especially when it involves seeing Claptrap cause havoc while wearing a cute beret.
Here’s the latest video on the game, which has Gearbox Software’s James Lopez and 2K Australia’s Joel Escher giving players a guided tour of the game, based on the build that has done the rounds at PAX East in April. Check it out:
Don’t have time to watch the video? Well here’s the crib notes version. Don’t let teacher catch you with it:
- New loot chest designs
- New Cryo-gun – Fires ice rounds and freezes enemies, shattering them
- Laser gun – new type, each manufacturer has one. Dahl laser guns fire off multiple beams, the Maliwan version emits a steady beam
- Oz kits provide oxygen
- Moon surface has you constantly losing oxygen, but there are plenty of opportunities planned to keep your supply steady, such as air geysers which replenish your oxygen meter.
- Oxygen is designed to be a feature that adds new abilities to the game
- Oxygen can boost jumps
- You can also use oxygen to do an area of effect attack, or a “butt-stomp”
- “During the development of the game, the moon just turned into Australia”, Eschler said about the local lunar accents
- Low gravity results in new gameplay tactics, such as explosives sending enemies flying into space
- Headshots are more powerful now, thanks to enemies using oxygen bubbles around their heads as well.
- Scavs are a new enemy to deal with, essentially moon bandits
- Athena’s action skill absorbs a ton of damage, which you can then use to redirect back at enemies
- The Badass Outlaw, another new enemy, can use his tackle-charges to throw you around
- You can use friendly fire to charge Athena’s shield up as well
- A new vehicle was shown off briefly, the Sting-Ray
- Claptrap is a Beyd Ess
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel is out on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC later this year.
Last Updated: May 28, 2014