Can you smell it? The aroma of hot glue, EVA Foam and freshly unwrapped comics. Oh hells yeah, that smells like Free Comic Book Day to me! The event may be young, but the growing pains certainly aren’t present. Every year, Free Comic Book Day has grown, thanks in no small part to the event living up to its name and various industry professionals and fans representing in style. Keen on going? Well here’s where you can attend.
The following shops will be handing out the goods this Saturday, May 4. Hyperlinks included for address details, but comment below if I’ve left anyone out and I’ll add them in:
As for comics, here’s some of what you can get for free this year:
- Bobs Burgers (Dynamite)
- Dark Horse Fight Club: The Goon
- Savage Dragon Legacy (Image)
- Bongo Free For All (Bongo)
- Divergence (DC Comics)
- Secret Wars #0 (Marvel)
- Boom Studios 10th Anv. FCBD Special
- Dr Who Special (Titan)
- SpongeBob Freestyle Funnies (United Plankton)
- Dark Circle Comics #1
- Perfect Square Presents Pokémon
- Transformers Robots in Disguise #0 (IDW)
- I.C.E.: Bayou Blackout (12 Gauge Comics)
- Gronk And Friends (Action Lab Entertainment)
- Steampunk Goldilocks (Antarctic Press)
- Sonic/Mega Man: “Worlds Unite” Flip-book (Archie Comic Publications)
I’ll be attending the Wrestlemania of local FCBD events this year over at the Claremont branch of Reader’s Den. Come say hi to the Ghostbuster! As usual, the event will be about more than just comics, as FCBD is essentially the Comic-Con of South Africa, minus dodgy organisational skills done at the very last minute.
It’s going to be a freakin’ blast this year.
Last Updated: April 29, 2015