With Black Friday right around the corner, just about every company is getting in on the discount action. Valve are no stranger to sales, so naturally, they’re having their own special event too, in the form of the Steam Autumn Sale.
That’s not all they’ve kicked off however. Valve have also now unveiled their very own Steam Awards:
For the first time in human history, our Steam Community will decide the nominees for the prestigious Steam Awards. This November you will get to choose nominees for 8 different categories as well as have the opportunity to create your very own award category.
These categories aren’t your standard “game of the year” or “best shooter” fare. No, they’re… somewhat different:
- The “Test of Time” Award
- This award is for the game that is just as good today as the day you first played it. Newer games may come out, but it doesn’t matter… you’ll always come back to play this one.
- The “I’m Not Crying, There’s Something In My Eye” Award
- Games are fun. But sometimes games become more than that, and touch you in a way you weren’t expecting. This award celebrates the game that blindsided you emotionally. You weren’t expecting to cry. It wasn’t in the plan. But it happened none the less.
- The “Just 5 More Minutes” Award
- You have an early day tomorrow. You need to get some sleep, so you’re just going finish one more thing before you decide to tuck in for the night. Just one more. Wait, one more. What’s that you say? It’s 2:30 AM? This award is for the game that keeps you playing late.
- The “Whoooaaaaaaa, dude!” Award
- Some games melt your face. Maybe it was a crazy plot twist. Maybe you just got your wisdom teeth removed. Either way, this game BLOWS YOUR MIND.
- The “Villain Most In Need Of A Hug” Award
- Some people just need a hug.
- The “Game Within A Game” Award
- Kinder Eggs. Peanut Butter Cups. Jelly Donuts. All great things stuffed with other great things. Like a mighty turducken, this award celebrates the best mini game hidden within another game.
- The “I Thought This Game Was Cool Before It Won An Award” Award
- This title didn’t have a huge marketing machine behind it, but you found it and loved it. Then you told your friends about it. And they loved it. And now that little game that could is about to win an award… but always remember: you totally found it first.
- The “Best Use Of A Farm Animal” Award
- Animals are rad and almost any game is better for including them. However this game used a farm animal in the best way possible.
- The “We Didn’t Think Of Everything” Award
- (*name pending Selection Committee Decision) There are as many great ideas for awards as there are great games to play. And so we turn to the Steam Awards Selection Committee to come up with their own category and nominee. Senior members of the Selection Committee will review the write-in entries and create an entirely new category based on the feedback provided
Don’t forget to place your votes! Doing so will earn you profile XP and badges. I think I’ll nominate Goat Simulator for the “Best Use of A Farm Animal” award for obvious reasons.
Anyhow, back to business – the Steam Autumn Sale! What do Valve have on special? Well, everything it seems. Here are some of my personal highlights:
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim + add-ons bundle – R194.43 (73% off)
- Battlerite – R164.25 (25% off)
- Grand Theft Auto V – R399.50 (50% off)
- Far Cry Primal – R274.50 (50% off)
- ARK: Survival Evolved – R159.50 (50% off)
- Civilization V: Complete Bundle – R134.02 (92% off)
- Just Cause 3 – R124.75 (75% off)
- INSIDE + LIMBO Bundle – R167.44 (49% off)
- Outlast – R54.75 (75% off)
- Quantum Break – R306.75 (25% off)
- ABZU – R109.50 (50% off)
- Street Fighter V – R360.00 (50% off)
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive – R106.53 (33% off)
- The Witcher III: Game of the Year Edition – R299.40 (40% off)
- DOOM – R263.67 (67% off)
- Fallout 4 – R263.67 (67% off)
- Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration – R349.50 (50% off)
- The Division – R299.50 (50% off)
I’ve skipped over the past few Steam sales, but I don’t think I can say no to this one. I mean, The Witcher III and DOOM at those low prices? Please excuse me while I grab my credit card!
What about you? Are there any deals here that appeal to you? Will you be spending ALL of the money on the Steam Autumn Sale?
Last Updated: November 24, 2016