Microsoft’s been hard at work with Minecraft since acquiring the company that started it in 2014 – and the game’s set to receive another great big update this month. Unfortunately – and this is much to the chagrin of those who still play and love the java-based original – the new updates are for the Pocket version of Minecraft, and the Windows 10 edition that’s forked from it.
The last update to the Windows 10 version of Minecraft added basic Redstone components, but the new Overworld update, coming by the end of this month, will allow budding crafters to make more advanced contraptions.
- Finally make more advanced mechanical contraptions for your world with additional redstone components. Comparators, repeaters, dispensers, droppers, hoppers, trapped chests and various additional Minecart types will all be available. Invent all the things!
- Tangle with spooky witches and their huts during your adventures. Witch huts found while exploring swamps also now contain an exciting new feature – their cauldrons will be filled with a randomly generated potion that you can snag for your own if you’re feeling sticky-fingered.
- Speaking of cauldrons, they can now be used to dye your armor an array of beautiful colors.
- Display your coolest loot in your home with Item Frames – or mount your maps on the wall to plan your adventures with a world overview.
- Other gameplay elements new to Pocket Edition and Windows 10 Beta are slime blocks, wearable pumpkins, red sandstone as well as improved chicken jockey mobs.
- Even beyond gameplay elements, we’re also now introducing the ability to import and export maps into the Windows 10 Edition Beta, making it easier for you to share your favorite worlds with friends.
The Windows 10 version is still in beta, and from my own experiences with it, is far less resource hungry and exceedingly more efficient than the original Java-based one. It doesn’t, unfortunately, allow for the sort of expansive modding that Minecraft pundits are so fond of, which is why it’s nearly universally despised.
The new update will also add a bunch of shiny new achievements tied to the new features:
- Camouflage – Kill a mob while wearing the same type of mob head.
- Dispense With This – Construct a dispenser.
- Tie Dye Outfit – Dye all 4 unique pieces of leather armor.
- Map Room – Place 9 fully explored, adjacent maps into 9 item frames in a 3 by 3 square.
- Trampoline Bounce – 30 blocks upward off of a slime block.
- Freight Station – Use a Hopper to move an item from a Chest Minecart to a Chest.
- Smelt Everything! – Connect 3 Chests to a single Furnace using 3 Hoppers.
- Taste of Your Own Medicine – Poison a witch with a splash potion.
Last Updated: February 11, 2016