Mortal Kombat X is a pretty good fighting game. I have a few problems with it; most notably the weird dial-a-combos and perpetual, over-powerful juggles – but those are my problems, not problems with the game itself. The game does have problems though, especially on PC.
I warned against getting the PC version. The developer responsible, High Voltage, is notorious for making bad ports of games – to a point where Konami had to hire another developer to fix one of its bad ports. And despite a 15GB patch to the PC version of Mortal Kombat X, users still report a plethora of issues that sometimes make the game borderline unplayable.
Redditor Mystic87 has summed up the persistent problems in the PC game.
- Fighters transitions gone after fixes (those transitions after select character, variation and stage. Fighters face off talking things and gestures before loading start. Those animations are great and add personality. Is important and they are already there. Users want it in the game please).
- Crashes caused by a critical memory leak this game has.
- PC players stats are bugged like wins/losses, etc. Because of this bug is very hard to get revenant Liu Kang and Kung Lao skins.
- High online input lag. Netcode and matchmaking need some improvement.
- Ping bars not showing to many people for connection check. Grey ping bars or neverending loading.
- PC main menu isn’t updated like console (store picture, living tower picture never change).
- After last patch, some players lost their progress. Save game erased.
- We need an option to choose UI/subtitles language in the game.
- Krypt Spider Swich Lever Passage lever bug. After first visit if you don’t open the door, and exit to the menu, some or all lever will be inactive when you reenter the krypt and you can’t pass the door anymore.
- Some gold chests impossible to open in the krypt (the ones that appear for a brief moment of time).
- After losing a match on the Test Your Might tower, and opting to select a new character, the game will lock, not allowing your cursor to move.
- After buttons remapping the movelist not change to reflect the new buttons.
- Gold Scorpion/Cold war skin not showing up even though the code’s already been redeemed.
- Button combo 1+2 (for stage interactions) no longer works after 15gb patch on arcade stick.
- Every now and then a character loses the animation sequence for their fatalities. The fatality works and is awarded, but the “dead” character just stands wobbling. The only way to fix this is to restart the game and then that character’s fatality works again.
- Kombat Kard – Icon: Noxious IV + 0 per Match Win (as Reptile)
- Lower overall graphics quality after last 15 gb patch (optimizations was quality nerf).
- For some weird reason the resolution option 1980×1920 @60hz is missing. Instead of that I get two times the option 1920×1080 @59hz.
- In the end of Mileena’s tasty treat Fatality, her mask appears on her face again on its own. (can be seen especially when using kahnum skin and probably the vampiress as well).
- Game does not remember/save DSR resolution settings after being restarted.
That…that’s a lot of issues. I’ve been playing on PS4, which doesn’t have nearly that many issue. I will say though that the netcode seems to be a little wonky. Where it worked rather well, I’m finding fewer and fewer games play smoothly online – and for a game where longevity relies on multiplayer, that’s not good enough.
High Voltage does seem to be aware of all the problems, adding this on Facebook:
“Hi everyone! Thank you all so much for your patience and support while we address the issues many of you have encountered in MKX. As most of you are aware, we released a patch over the weekend that fixed a number of issues including the Dead Woods and the Main Menu freeze. Please know that we are continuing to work on the crashes and performance issues that have been reported, and hope to release additional patches in the near future. Thanks again everyone!”
Are you experiencing issues with Mortal Kombat X on PC? Have you – like many, it seems – moved on to other games?
Last Updated: April 30, 2015