Remember how I told you that you could be a part of the MSSA thanks to their elections? Well, the elections came and we now have a new board of the MSSA. Some of this may surprise you, and it’s clear that they are taking their lessons in Democracy from some questionable sources.
By now, you should all know that we revel in the glory that are MSSA press releases. Well, this one is no exception – not due to typos, but rather because of some hilarious quotes that we just had to share with you:
In true democratic tradition, Colin Webster gracefully stood down after having presided over the his last AGM.
At the time of the meeting, only one of the nominees remained for the position of President.
The position of President requires a man of steel. The President has to liaise with government, SASCOC, and is the MSSA’s Public Officer.
The MSSA has found such a man!
Only one nominee remained? What happened to any others, were they imprisoned for political reasons in this “democracy”? Did they not have enough of a cult of personality? I’m sure the new president, Simphiwe Maphumulo is a nice enough guy and I don’t want to imply that he is in any way a poor candidate for president of the MSSA. However, there surely must be more than one person who is willing/able to stand for president. How can you have an election when you can’t elect (read: choose) a candidate? Here is the new board:
- President: Simphiwe Maphumulo
- Vice President (in charge of development): Garth Schoeman
- Vice President (in charge of events): Motsosi Thipe
- General Secretary: Colin Webster
- Women’s Desk: Morizane Boyes
- Board Gaming Representative: Gavin Penkin
- eSports Gaming Representative: Ryan Boyes
- Figure Gamuing Representative: Donald Mullany
- Legal Advisor: Carl Holliday
I’m still a bit confused why there needs to be a Women’s Desk, but hey, do my eyes deceive me? It appears that Colin Webster is still on the board – he is now the General Secretary. Oh, but don’t worry, you can still volunteer to be a part of the board. Apparently they are still looking for people to fill the role of National Schools Director and Player’s Representative.
It appears that they were busy during their AGM – they also gave out awards, and it seems their presidents (former and current) were popular choices. Here are the awards:
- Mind Sports Person of the Year: Simphiwe Maphumulo
- Board Gamer of the Year: Simphiwe Maphumulo
- Computer Gamer of the Year: Lyrene Kühn
- Wargamer of the Year: Colin Webster
- Volunteer of the Year: Dorian Love
- Mind Sports Writer of the Year: Han Cilliers
- Best Sponsor of the Year: MWEB
I’m so glad the MSSA gives out writing awards – really keeps us on our toes.
Okay, in all seriousness, I’m glad that the MSSA stuck to their constitution and elected a new President. However, there is no way that they can call this a fair election if there is only one candidate. Have they alienated all their players so much to make them unwilling to be a bigger part of the organization? What is going on behind closed doors to make it so that only one person wants to run for president?
Check out our esports portal
Last Updated: December 12, 2013