The DICE Awards, the Oscars of the gaming industry if you don’t factor in Geoff Keighley’s The Game Awards, the Game Critic Awards, the Golden Joystick or the Game Developers Choice Awards! One of several award shows that we’re never invited to because of an incident involving the Japanese Prime Minister and some bad food, the DICE Awards kicked off last night with perhaps the hardest year in gaming history to judge.
We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again: 2016 was possibly the finest year in video games, a tour around the sun that saw games like DOOM, Uncharted 4 and Overwatch published onto console and PC. And according to the judges, Overwatch, Inside and Uncharted 4 were the best of the best. While Inside grabbed three awards, Overwatch and Uncharted 4 were tied with four wins each. Bafflingly, one of those wins saw DOOM lose out in the race for best action game. Madness.
Here’s the full list of winners below:
- Game of the Year – Overwatch
- Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction – Inside
- Outstanding Achievement in Game Design – Overwatch
- Outstanding Achievement in Online Gameplay – Overwatch
- Handheld Game of the Year – Pokemon Sun and Moon
- Strategy/Simulation Game of the Year – Civilization VI
- Sports Game of the Year – Steep
- RPG/Massively Multiplayer Game of the Year – Dark Souls III
- Racing Game of the Year – Forza Horizon 3
- Fighting Game of the Year – Street Fighter V
- Family Game of the Year – Ratchet & Clank
- Immersive Reality Game of the Year – SUPERHOT VR
- Outstanding Technical Achievement – Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
- Outstanding Achievement in Story – Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
- Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design – Battlefield 1
- Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition – Doom
- Outstanding Achievement in Character – The Last Guardian – Trico
- Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction – Inside
- Outstanding Achievement in Animation – Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
- D.I.C.E. Sprite Award – Inside
- Adventure Game of the Year – Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End
- Action Game of the Year – Overwatch
- Mobile Game of the Year – Pokemon Go
- Immersive Reality Technical Achievement – Eagle Flight
Of course none of this will matter at the end of this year, when the first ever Critical Hit awards show kicks off live from my kitchen, with my cat in attendance. Tune in this December for the Critical Hit Critty Awards, where every winner is fairly chosen/Metal Gear Rising.
Last Updated: February 24, 2017
Alien Emperor Trevor
February 24, 2017 at 09:09
Beyonce was robbed!
February 24, 2017 at 09:22
Immersive Reality Game of the Year – SUPERHOT VR….
“Immersive Reality” So when did we start believing we can stop time when we stop moving?
February 24, 2017 at 09:29
Ratchet & Clank! Woohoo!
February 24, 2017 at 09:36
Overwatch 4 lyf
February 24, 2017 at 09:51
Yay for Trico XD
Banana Jim's Final Form!
February 24, 2017 at 10:13
Taylor Swift was robbed!!