It’s been three years since DC turned their line of comics off and back on again in a massive reboot, following the events of The Flashpoint Paradox. Three years of the New 52, in which DC launched all new comics, cancelled most of them and figured out what to do right. After that period of time, DC is now finally ready to move on, abandoning the New 52 moniker now that their line of comics have had an extended period of settling in. But they’re bringing a ton of new series with them in the wake of their upcoming Convergence event.
Convergence, which will see Superman foe Braniac return to shake up the multiverse with super-shenanigans and give the DC comics another, softer, shake-up is already shaping up with a singular purpose: A more diverse line of comics. While 25 of DC’s higher-rated series will remain on, there’ll also be 24 new series announced, that sees the likes of Eisner-winning comics creator Gene Luen Yang handling Superman alongside artist John Romita Jr., Bryan Hitch writing and drawing Justice League and Ming “The Kitchen” Doyle penning Constantine: The Hellblazer.
There’s a ton more according to ComicBookResources, as new titles include a “Black Canary” book written by “Batgirl” co-writer Brenden Fletcher; “Starfire,” written by the “Harley Quinn” team of Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti, “Cyborg,” “Bizarro,” “Bat-Mite” and “Prez;” the latter three of which are described by DC Entertainment Co-Publisher Jim Lee in the press release as “offbeat, irreverently funny titles.” “This heralds in a new era for the DC Universe which will allow us to publish something for everyone, be more expansive and modern in our approach and tell stories that better reflect the society around us,” DC Entertainment Co-Publisher Dan DiDio said in a press release.
Whether you’ve been a DC fan your whole life, or whether you are new to comics — there will be a book for you beginning in June.
New and rebranded series:
- Batman Beyond – Writer: Dan Jurgens, Artist: Bernard Chang
- Bat-Mite – Writer: Dan Jurgens, Artist: Corin Howell
- Bizarro – Writer: Heath Corson, Artist: Gustavo Duarte
- Black Canary – Writer: Brenden Fletcher, Artist: Annie Wu
- Constantine: The Hellblazer – Writer: Ming Doyle & James Tynion IV, Artist: Riley Rossmo
- Cyborg – Writer: David Walker, Artist: Ivan Reis
- Dark Universe – Writer: James Tynion IV, Artist: Ming Doyle
- Green Lantern: Lost Army – Writer: Cullen Bunn, Artist: Jesus Saiz & Javi Pina
- Doomed – Writer: Scott Lobdell, Artist: Javier Fernandez
- Earth 2: Society – Writer: Daniel Wilson, Artist: Jorge Jimenez
- Dr. Fate – Writer: Paul Levitz, Artist: Sonny Liew
- Harley Quinn/Power Girl – Writer: Jimmy Palmiotti & Amanda Conner, Artist: Stephane Roux
- Justice League of America – Writer: Bryan Hitch, Artist: Bryan Hitch
- Justice League 3001 – Writer: Keith Giffen, Artist: Howard Porter
- Martian Manhunter – Writer: Rob Williams, Artist: Ben Oliver
- Midnighter – Writer: Steve Orlando, Artist: ACO
- Mystic U – Writer: Alisa Kwitney, Artist: Stay tuned for artist info!
- Omega Men – Writer: Tom King, Artist: Alec Morgan
- Prez – Writer: Mark Russell, Artist: Ben Caldwell
- Red Hood/Arsenal – Writer: Scott Lobdell, Artist: Denis Medri
- Robin, Son of Batman – Writer: Patrick Gleason, Artist: Patrick Gleason
- Section Eight (limited series) – Writer: Garth Ennis, Artist: John McCrea
- Starfire – Writer: Jimmy Palmiotti & Amanda Conner, Artist: Emanuela Lupacchino
- We Are Robin – Writer: Lee Bermejo, Artist: Khary Randolph
- Action Comics – Writer: Greg Pak, Artist: Aaron Kuder
- Aquaman – Writer: Cullen Bunn, Artist: Trevor McCarthy
- Batgirl – Writer: Cameron Stewart & Brenden Fletcher, Artist: Babs Tarr
- Batman – Writer: Scott Snyder, Artist: Greg Capullo
- Detective Comics – Writer: Brian Buccelato & Francis Manapul, Artist: Francis Manapul
- Batman/Superman – Writer: Greg Pak, Artist: Ardian Syaf
- Catwoman – Writer: Genevieve Valentine, Artist: David Messina
- Deathstroke – Writer: Tony S. Daniel, Artist: Tony S. Daniel
- The Flash – Writer: Robert Venditti & Van Jensen, Artist: Brett Booth
- Gotham Academy – Writer: Becky Cloonan & Brenden Fletcher, Artist: Karl Kerschl
- Gotham By Midnight – Writer: Ray Fawkes, Artist: Juan Ferreyra
- Grayson – Writer: Tom King & Tim Seeley, Artist: Mikel Janin
- Green Arrow – Writer: Ben Percy, Artist: Patrick Zircher
- Green Lantern – Writer: Robert Venditti, Artist: Billy Tan
- Harley Quinn – Writer: Jimmy Palmiotti & Amanda Conner, Artist: Chad Hardin
- Justice League – Writer: Geoff Johns, Artist: Jason Fabok
- Justice League United – Writer: To be confirmed
- Lobo – Writer: Cullen Bunn, Artist: Cliff Richards
- Secret Six – Writer: Gail Simone, Artist: Dale Eaglesham
- Sinestro – Writer: Cullen Bunn, Artist: Bradley Walker
- New Suicide Squad – Writer: Sean Ryan, Artist: Carlos D’Anda
- Superman – Writer: Gene Luen Yang, Artist: John Romita, Jr.
- Superman/Wonder Woman – Writer: Peter J. Tomasi, Artist: Doug Mahnke
- Teen Titans – Writer: Will Pfeifer, Artist: Kenneth Rocafort
- Wonder Woman – Writer: Meredith Finch, Artist: David Finch
I like what I’m seeing. The comic book landscape is changing these days, introducing characters that not only appeal to more people, but do so organically. And with DC finally shaping up, they’ve got me excited once again.
Last Updated: February 9, 2015