Gamepro.com has an articleÂ detailingÂ 6Â reasons why the 360 is in trouble at the moment. I thought I would takeÂ a shot at responding to it… lets seeÂ how this goes.
1. It’s unreliable…. According to gamepro gamers are unwilling to fork out $300-$400 on a console that is unreliable. Well I completely agree that it is unreliable but I am not sure how bad that really is. With the much publicised 3 year warranty the more hardcore gamers will feel better and generally the casual gamer doesn’t actually know about the unreliability. Or they have expected it to be fixed already.
2. It only sells marginally better than Xbox… The 360 has only sold 200 000 more units than the original xbox, albeit without Halo yet. What this space. While the original xbox cannot be classed as a complete failure it did lose by a huge margin to the PS2. If Microsoft want to win this generation they need to do better. However so far the 360 is easily outselling the PS3 and the Wii is not really a competitor. I don’t think it’s fair comparing to the previous generation where we had 3 contenders when we now only have 2 and the Wii. As long as they keep outselling the PS3 they can still win.
3. A recent string of bad publicity… Yeah Microsoft has had a bad run at the moment, but people have very short memories and once the glut of games hit the market people will forget about this.
4. It has limited appeal… here it really does have a problem that needs sorting out. I am a huge fan of RTS, FPS and blood and guts games. Though surprisingly my 4 and 2 year old daughters are not.Â I also bulk at forking out R500 for a cheap movie knock off which limited gameplay just for them. I need real family games on this system.
5. It bleeds money… So all in all the Xbox division has lost about $6 billion. Which may make investors nervous and may make Microsoft can the division. Personally I think this is rubbish, Microsoft are doing everything possible to get into your living room. To bring movies and content directly to your TV. The Xbox is a core ingredient to this plan and as long as Microsoft is making more than enough profit even with the Xbox losses they will keep pumping the money in.
6. It still doesn’t sell in Japan… Yup the much publicised failure of the 360 in Japan is still around. Japan being the second biggest gaming market in the world also makes this a real problem. However the PS3 is failing in Japan as well so really will it matter in this generation.
The Wii has completely destroyed everyones early predictions for this generation and if you see the Wii as a complimentary system rather than a competitor to the 360 or PS3 then you are looking at a 2 horse race. With the 360 still very comfortably in the lead.
The 360 also has the best upcoming games line up and if they can get the Falcon out and fix the reliability issues then they will once again look to be in a great position. Lets not forget Live either. Easily the better online system at the moment.
Last Updated: July 21, 2007