As a kid, one title I sunk many an hour into was RollerCoaster Tycoon 2. I was… well… let’s just say I wasn’t the best park manager. My rides were a little on the violent side, resulting in walkways that were constantly covered in vomit, which in turn, meant that there were a few thousand unhappy park guests. Basically, I sucked at running the place! Still, even though those attending my park will miserable saps, I was having an absolute blast.
I’ve been wanting to relive those crazy coaster days for a long time now, and thankfully, I might just be able to thanks to the likes of a modern day version of the game, RollerCoaster Tycoon World. I wrote about it last year, and all but forgot it existed (it was pegged for an early 2015 release). It’s still around believe it or not, and in fact, will be having a beta period this weekend (via PC Gamer):
The first RollerCoaster Tycoon World Beta Weekend will begin for all PC pre-order customers on Friday, October 30thand run until Monday November 2nd. The RollerCoaster Tycoon World Beta is a technical demo focusing on our coaster building system and will show tycoons just a small taste of the sandbox experience and great parks you will be able to build when the game launches.
Er… yeah that seems a little limited. In order to get in on the beta, you need to have pre-ordered the game, and even if you have, you’ll only get access to the building system, and none of the other park mechanics. Here’s the rather lengthy overview if you are interested
- Coaster Building: You will be able to utilize the FULL coaster builder across all of the coaster types. This is a HUGE system that we want feedback and testing on from our community. It’s one of the most important parts of the game and we have worked really hard to make it easy and intuitive to use, while providing unprecedented control and depth. Let us know what you think!
- Coaster Simulation: Almost all simulation features of RCTW will be enabled, from Operations Screens, to Physics, to Building. Let us know your thoughts on the feedback the game is providing. Do you like how it’s reporting ride stats? What do you think about the new safety rating? Any and all feedback is appreciated.
- Coaster Physics: We want you to test the limits of our coaster system and show us some of the craziest designs possible so we can identify what we need to tweak over the comings weeks and months. Build something super tall, boost coasters too fast around a track, and of course send them flying off the rails!
- Coaster Riding: Everything you build will be rideable in first person cam. It’s a system we are still tweaking but we want you to test it now and give us feedback!
- Scenery: Just as integral as the coasters you’ll build, scenery helps bring your park to life. For this Beta, we’re offering a selection of in-game scenery options. This is also critical to UGC as we want our future UGC creators to have an idea of some of the in-game scenery we will be offering, how it will look in the game, and how it affects different aspects of the game.
- Paths/Grid: Queue and path systems will be enabled. Tell us how you like our new grid-free map, the on-demand grid, and of course test out those curved paths.
- Terrain Deformation/Water: This system, although simple to use, is actually incredibly complicated to implement due to all the interactions with our building and physics engines. Test it out!
- Additional Features: It goes without saying, but there are a ton of other “under-the-hood” features in there as well.
I guess it is a fair amount of stuff to play with, which is nice for big fans of the franchise. Personally, I’ll be waiting RollerCoaster Tycoon World to launch officially, so I can at least have guests to ride my monstrous creations.
Last Updated: October 27, 2015