Shadow of Mordor looks like a rather brutal game. Not brutal like an Iron Maiden album cover, but brutal like a shiv being shanked up your sides kind of violence as you serve time in jail for organising a One Direction tour to South Africa. Part of that violence though, comes from the Rune system that the game uses, laddie.
Here’s the latest trailer showing off Talion and his arsenal as they work their way through Ork flesh.
Alternatively, here’s a quick description from the official wiki for Shadow of Mordor of the Ruuuuunes:
Runes are items in Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor that add powerful buffs to Talion’s bow Azkâr, Talion’s dagger Acharn and Talion’s sword Urfael. These runes can be obtained by vanquishing enemy captains. Exploiting the weaknesses of an enemy will influence the type of runes that drop, and combining different runes will increase the power of Talion’s weapons in different ways.
And because I love you Hobbitseses, here’s a rundown of the Runes discovered so far:
- Favor of the Lady – Recovers 15% Health when completing a Drain or Brand
- Heart of Mearas (Epic Rune) – Increases Elven Swiftness speed burst duation by 50%
- Lure of Power (Epic Rune) – 33% Chance that any enemy near a Stealth Brand target will also be branded
- Power of the Earth – Recovers 100% Focus on Ground Execution
- Worm’s Tooth (Epic Rune) – A Stealth Kill recharges the Shadow of Acharn at double the normal rate
- Bow Master (Epic Rune) – Increases bow damage by 50%
- Explosive Demise (Epic Rune) – 20% Chance that an area blast will happen around a charged bow kill
- Fire Storm (Epic Rune) – Adds a powerful blast to Fire Arrows
- Keen Eyed (Epic Rune) – Recovers 43% Focus for killing with the bow
- Will of the West (Epic Rune) – 29% Chance to recover +10 Health on a head shot kill
- Betrayer – Increases all weapon damage by 35% when hitting an enemy from behind.
- Smite – Recovers 100% Focus on Combat Flurry kills.
- Storm of Battle (Epic Rune) – Boosts all sword damage by 50%.
- Strength from Courage – Recovers 25% Health on a Combat Flurry kill.
If you’re in the US of A, then you also get a chance to net the following Runes if you pre-order at any of these Middle-Earth supply dens:
- Amazon – Deadly Archer Rune: Talion will deal extra damage when executing ranged headshots against Sauron’s CaptainsP
- Best Buy – Flame of Arnor Rune: Talion can ignite his blade by achieving a high combo count and incinerate his enemiesP
- GameStop – Captain of the Watch / Hidden Blade Rune: “Captain of the Watch” character skin and the Hidden Blade Rune – Talion can deal extra damage when executing stealth attacks against Sauron’s Captains1P
- Steam – Orc Slayer Rune: Talion will decimate Sauron’s Captains with increased damage from special attacks
Locally, expect at least one of those runes to make it to our side of the world. Hopefully. Game is out on October 7, for Xbox, PlayStation and PC.
Last Updated: May 20, 2014