Looks like it won’t be Halo 5 that we’re seeing this year. Instead, the next game from 343 Industries is a Halo game on a smaller scale, as the franchise goes top-down in an effort to make Windows 8 more popular.
Developed exclusively for that operating system, Halo: Spartan Assault see’s players taking on the role of either Commander Sarah Palmer or Spartan Davis as they tackle Covenant forces aboard the UNSC Infinity, between the events of Halo 3 and 4, according to AGB.
Spartan Assault doesn’t look too bad, I’ll say that much. The presentation looks top-notch, from voice-acting to cinematics, but will it convince gamers to adopt Windows 8? That’s the billion dollar question for Microsoft with this game.
I’ve fallen in love with top-down virtual analogue stick shooters lately, with Age of Zombies dominating that genre for me. Halo: Spartan Assault looks just as ridiculous and action heavy as that game, but we’ll have to wait until the game is eventually released next month.
And ported onto other systems such as Android and iOS, because frankly, that’s when I’ll really get excited. Anyway, here’s the official press release that I copied and pasted below with more screenshots, because me am lazy.
Product Overview: Available only for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8, “Halo: Spartan Assault” is a new top-down action shooter that brings a “Halo” video game to touch-based devices for the first time in franchise history. Developed by 343 Industries in conjunction with Vanguard Games, “Halo: Spartan Assault” provides an accessible, pick-up-and-play experience for fans and newcomers alike.
Set between the events of “Halo 3” and “Halo 4,” “Halo: Spartan Assault” is a new chapter of the award-winning “Halo” universe that explores the first missions of the Spartan Ops program and dives deeper into the backstory of Human-Covenant wars. Play through the eyes of either Commander Sarah Palmer or Spartan Davis stationed aboard the UNSC Infinity as they fight never-before-seen battles against Covenant forces.
With rich storytelling, intuitive controls, and best-in-class action, audio and graphics, “Halo: Spartan Assault” brings the epic scale and action of the “Halo” universe to mobile devices through unrivaled action and intensity.
Features: Top features include the following:
- · Original “Halo” gameplay. An action-packed, single-player campaign spanning 25 missions in battles never before experienced in the Halo Universe, all played from a top-down camera view
- · New and immersive storyline. An original story set between the events of “Halo 3” and “Halo 4,” experience a new war with the Covenant, the first missions of the Spartan Ops program and the rise of Commander Sarah Palmer, all with best-in-class graphics and audio
- · Built for simplicity. A unique fusion of touch and consolelike controls for easy pick-up-and-play gaming, with the added flexibility of keyboard and mouse controls on Windows 8 PCs and tablets2
- · Integration with “Halo 4.” Earn experience points (XP), all-new Achievements, and unlock emblems for your “Halo 4” Spartan career, with additional integration features available after launch
- · Nonstop competitive fun. Compete against friends in Leaderboards or hone your skills against an onslaught of Weekly Challenges while collecting more than 40 in-game Achievements and Med
- · In-app purchases. Grind to earn upgrades or speed up your training by purchasing credits for boosts, unique weapons or armor abilities
- · Only on Windows. Available only on Windows 8 PCs and tablets and Windows Phone 8 devices.
Last Updated: June 5, 2013