There’s more bad news from THQ. Not only has the company’s share price plummeted so badly it faces stock exchange delisting, but it seems its also just sacked a substantial section of its workforce.
Rumours have abounded for ages that the company was in dire straits and that it was culling its staff; rumours the the publisher and developer vehemently denied.
In a report by Eurogamer, Kevin Dent – the same industry professional who earlier this year said THQ was doomed and was cancelling its 2014 line-up seems to have confirmed that the rumours relating to job cuts are indeed true.
"This is probably going to break in the morning, I have sat on it for a week or so. The culling at THQ was 170+ souls including Mark DeLoura," broadcast he said on twitter, directing the message at (ex?) THQ Vice President of Technology Mark DeLoura. "A smart journalist would send THQ’s VP of Tech Mark DeLoura an email and see what the auto reply says," he later quipped.
"Hey, that’s cheating :)," DeLoura replied, seemingly confirming the layoffs.
Man, I hope it’s not true. It would be terrible for so many talented people to lose their jobs because of corporate shenanigans – and it could affect the company’s great line-up, which includes Darksiders II, and Itagaki’s Devil’s Third.
Last Updated: February 1, 2012