Fallout 4 is officially coming, and yesterday’s trailer has sent the internet into a tumult. Fans are tripping over themselves in glee, while deterrents are tripping over their bottom lips because the graphics aren’t good enough, and that Bethesda’s models look waxy and un-lifelike just as they have in every other Bethesda Software game ever made. Fallout 4 is one of the worst kept secrets in videogaming, with rumours of the game’s setting popping up years ago. One old rumour though, which seems to be align quite a bit with what we now know of the game, is a little disturbing, especially given today’s gaming climate.
The thing with Bethesda’s RPGs, whether you love and live them or not, is that they’ve allowed you to play as your hero – to carve out an identity of your own. It’s always been about choice. That may not be the case with Fallout 4. According to that old rumour, the game gives you a premade character, who happens to be male.
“In Fallout 4, mixing things up, we are making the game more ‘Story Based’ and the player character will finally talk, and narrate his storyline. At the beginning of the game, you create your character (You can only be a male in the main story),” says the old leaker, claiming to be a disgruntled former employee , via Destructoid. The same source says you can change gender once you’ve finished the game. Odd.
If this is true, it would certainly be an unwelcome move, given the current climate and the fact that Fallout has always given you options. I’d be pretty down, as I tend to play games of this sort as a fiery, chaotic neutral red-headed woman. I’d be upset, though I’d even buy the whole “it’s all about the narrative,” angle if this wasn’t a world that already includes Mass Effect, a great big sprawling RPG that featured full voice and story for both sexes.
Hopefully, given the drive for more diversity in gaming this is just a rumour, or that if it was once true, Bethesda’s seen fit to change that.
According to DToid, here’s the rest of the pertinent info gleaned from the months-old leak:
- The map of Fallout 4 is about three times the size of Skyrim
- Set in the year 2287, exactly 10 years after Fallout 3
- Takes place in Boston
- Xbox 360 and PS3 version will release later and run on the Skyrim engine (the teaser website had CSS mentions of both consoles)
- You can import your Fallout 3 data that could have an impact on the story depending on your previous choices
- PC version includes a “Classic Mode” that will feature a bird’s-eye view like the original titles
- You can only play as a male in the main story, but can change gender after completing the story
- PC / PS4 / Xbox One release date: October 2015
- PS3 / Xbox 360 release date: December 2015
- Will have five DLCs released over the next year
- An expansion will be revealed at E3 next year, and released in October
Here’s that trailer again, because why the hell not.
Last Updated: June 4, 2015