Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- I hope you have some tissues handy, because it’s about to get sadder than a Judy Boucher tribute concert up in here. And it’s all thanks to this incredible (and really emotional) 22-minute video tribute to the late great Seymour Hoffman.
*sniff* Damn it, who’s cutting onions in here?! *sniff*
- And seeing as how we’re now in desperate need of some cheering up, here’s Get Hard stars Will Ferrell and Kevin Hart engaging in a lip sync battle with Jimmy Fallon. Because, hey, why not?!
- John Wick, one of the biggest surprises of 2014, has hit Blu Ray in the States, and the folks at Film School Rejects has learned 38 things from the directors’ commentary. Things like exactly what producer Eva Longoria – yes, that Eva Longoria from Wisteria Lane – contributed to the movie. Answer: Nothing except a cheque. The directors apparently never even met her.
- DC’s next TV adaptation may just have found a cast, as according to Nerdist they claim to know who will be showing up Titans, WB and TNT’s planned “Teen Titans” live-action adaptation. According to the report, we’ll be seeing Dick Grayson aka Nightwing, but he will be debuting as Batman’s sidekick Robin and eventually becoming Nightwing. Barbara Gordon will be there as well, but not as Batgirl, and although she will be wheelchair-bound and a bit of tech whiz, she won’t be known by her Oracle persona either. Joining the pair will be the Hank Hall and Dawn Granger version of Hawk and Dove, who are romantically linked; Raven, the half-demon empath and teleporter who actually brings the team together; and Koriand’r aka Starfire, the flying, energy blasting alien princess. No mention is apparently made in the pilot of comic book team regulars Beast Boy and Cyborg, although the latter’s omission is more than likely due to him showing up in Batman v Superman as well as his own planned solo movie.
- Posters of the day: Spongebob Squarepants: Sponge Out of Water parody posters
- Tyrese Gibson may be trying his damndest to join the WB\DC movie universe as the next Green Lantern, but that doesn’t that the Furious 7 star doesn’t have time for things a bit closer to the ground. Universal Pictures has apparently picked up Desert Eagle, an action thriller that Gibson will star in and for which he actually co-wrote the spec script that got the pitch sold to the studio. The actioner wi
- And speaking of people doing illegal stuff online… If there was one word that I wish Hollywood had never added to its lexicon, its “hack”. Ever since audiences actually bought that hacking involves flying through virtual reality cityscapes with Angelina Jolie, it’s become some kind of techno deus ex machina that lazy screenwriters with no idea of how hacking actually works, can just throw in their scripts willy nilly. The end result is movies that look exactly like what this parody video is showing.
- Upcoming romantic-comedy Maggie’s Plan already boasts Greta Gerwig, Bill Hader, Ethan Hawke and Julianne Moore in its cast, but it’s missing something. Ah, I know! A bloodthirsty but cunning viking king who wants to invade England! Yes, Travis Fimmel, star of History’s Vikings, will be joining the rom-com written and directed by Rebecca Miller. Not much is known of the plot, but Fimmel – who has just recently wrapped production on Duncan Jones’ Warcraft video game adaptation – will apparently play a character named Guy.
- Who cares about the particulars of this weekends Super Bowl, all I want to know is whether Captain America‘s Chris Evans and Guardians of the Galaxy‘s Chris Pratt held up their Super Bowl bet that would have the loser make an appearance in costume at the other’s choice of children’s home. And the winner was: Technically Chris Evans, but in reality, EVERYBODY!
— chris pratt (@prattprattpratt) February 2, 2015
— Chris Evans (@ChrisEvans) February 2, 2015
coming there too! And lastly, I don’t think anyone can ever doubt the mental toughness of Tom Brady. Tough couple weeks, but he showed why
— Chris Evans (@ChrisEvans) February 2, 2015
- And we can finally stop referring acclaimed writer/director Cameron Crowe’s next project as, well, Cameron Crowe’s Next Project. The upcoming star-studded Hawaii-set rom-com will now officially be known as Aloha. The other titles attached to the project were apparently Deep Tiki and Volcano Romance which all sound like the titles of really bad pornos, so I’m glad they went with this one.
The flick will see Bradley Cooper star as “a military contractor who reconnects with a long-ago love (Rachel McAdams) while unexpectedly falling for an Air Force watchdog (Emma Stone). Bill Murray plays a billionaire launching a satellite system. John Krasinski, Danny McBride and Alec Baldwin also star”.
- Last year’s Lucy was the closest that writer/director Luc Besson has come to the wacked-out brilliance of The Fifth Element. The Bruce Willis and Milla Jovovich starring sci-fi opus is considered by many to be their favourite of Besson’s work and for good reason. It’s bright, loud, has crazy ideas and instant pop-culture hit characters and features one of Gary Oldman’s most memorable performances. So of course we’re going to nitpick it for a quarter of an hour all to make some jokes.
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last Updated: February 3, 2015