Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- Marilyn Burns, star of the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre and several classic horror movies, has passed away at the age of 65.The legendary scream queen was found dead in her home near Houston, Texas. No cause of death has been given yet.
- Burns’ most famous role was as Sally, the only survivor of the vicious chainsaw wielding Leatherface’s rampage. I don’t know whether I would have been able to survive an encounter who wears other people’s faces, but thanks to Ultimate Survival star and all-round badass Bear Grylls, I now know how to survive some hunger games, a sinking Titanic, being stuck on a boat with a tiger and even a sharknado.
- Poster of the Day: The ABC’s of Death 2
- We already know what Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn is doing next, but what about after that? Marvel certainly wouldn’t want to let him go, so which of their other properties does he have an eye on?
“Thunderbolts? I will tell you, one time I was saying to Kevin [Feige], we were sitting on set together on one of the days he visited and I said, ‘You know, I really want to make Thunderbolts,’ and he said, ‘James, if Guardians does well you’ll be able to do whatever you want so we’ll see what happens.”
Yes [email protected]#king please!
- Oh and you know that post-credits scene for Guardians of the Galaxy? The one where Benicio Del Toro’s Collector interacts with that character? It turns out that Del Toro may not know that he’s actually in it.
- Del Toro would probably have found out though if he read this awesome write-up from Slashfilm on all the film’s trivia/backstory or watched this fantastic video on every Easter Eggs found in the movie.
- “Conan! What’s good in life?” Apparently starting work much sooner than expected on a movie that many fans had forgotten about or given up hope of ever seeing. The Legend of Conan producer Fredrik Malmberg has revealed that the long awaited return of Arnold Schwarzenegger to his famous barbaric role could start production by early 2015. They just have to put the finishing touches on the script, and, oh yeah, find a director.
“We want to polish up the script, specifically about the characters but we don’t think it will take long. We’ll probably have this turned in around September after the holiday and then we’ll take it to the studio and if they’re happy, we can hopefully start in the Spring.”
“We haven’t been talking with directors yet. A lot of directors have come fourth and expressed interest and that they like Conan and want to be involved when we’re at that stage but the studio said they want the script to be ready before we officially approach the directors. But we have been in touch with old great names and new fresh faces. We’re excited about finding the right guy for that.”
- This pic of Peter Dinklage on the set of upcoming sci-fi comedy Pixels – in which Dinklage, Adam Sandler and Josh Gad are ex-video arcade champions who have to battle alien forces who resemble classic video game character – is my brand new greatest thing on the Internet ever.
- If you’re one of the people who have typed up paragraphs containing many exclamation points on how unnecessary it was for Peter Jackson to turn the 300-page “The Hobbit” into a 9-hour movie trilogy, then you’re going to love this bit of news. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug will get an Extended Edition to be released on Blu Ray on 4 November, which will add an additional 25 minutes of footage to the film’s current 161-minute running time.
- This is why we need the Internet: Lord of the Rings‘ biggest plot hole just got filled in the most creative manner.
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: August 6, 2014