Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- Did you watch Furious 7 this weekend past? Based on all the box office records it broke, I’m guessing that’s a “yes” from most of you. And like me, I’m guessing that most of you were just blown away by the movie’s utterly insane action scenes. Know what’s more insane though? Despite their over-the-top nature, most of those scenes were in fact not CGI but actually real practical stunts!
- Remember those 20 fake sequels shown in the end-credits of 22 Jump Street? Just a crazy gag that Phil Lord and Chris Miller threw in their for laughs, right? Wrong! Speaking at this weekend past’s Wondercon, Lord told upcoming sequel 23 Jump Straight was going to make all of them legit!
“We’ve found a way that we love that makes those imagined sequels canonical and yet does something that we haven’t told you about yet. The sequels are canon.”
C’mon, 43 Jump Street: Mariachi School!
- Poster of the day: American Psycho
- Your spacious domicile is about to get a whole lot more cramped as Netflix have are apparently close to finalizing a deal to revive long-running 1980’s sitcom Full House. The new 13-episode show will be called Fuller House and will focus on Candice Cameron’s now grown-up D.J. and her BFF Kimmy played by Andrea Barber and I really wish that I was making all of this up.
- When it comes to Terminator movies, fans all have their favourite (and if their favourite is anything other than T2: Judgement Day, then they’re wrong). But what about the Terminator himself? Which movies does Arnold Schwarzenegger like? Actually he likes all of them, except for that fourth film.
“I think the three that I was in, they all had their little personalities and interesting storylines”
“Thank God [I wasn’t in Terminator: Salvation]. It sucked.”
Well, that was pretty definitive.
- Sesame Street. Game of Thrones. The two shows couldn’t possibly be more different. So of course there’s a mashup.
- We can now add one more entry to the incredibly short list of “Things We Know About Jared Leto’s Version of the Joker” as it looks like the incarnation of the Clown Prince of Crime that we’ll be seeing in Suicide Squad will definitely be in need of a tan.
- Machete may not text, but he sure as hell makes sequels! Star Danny Trejo has unveiled that not only will the fake trailer for a third Machete movie attached to Machete Kills actually be turned into a full length movie, but that Machete Kills Again… In Space! will be starting production much sooner than expected.
“Robert [Rodriguez] and I are going to start to do MACHETE KILLS IN SPACE, so that’s going to be awesome. Absolutely. We’re going to be working on it this year.”
- “Jaaaaaaaaay!” The Jordan Vogt-Roberts directed video game adaptation of Metal Gear Solid has just found its writer. Rapidly up and coming writer Jay Basu has been tapped to pen the script for the adaptation of Hideo Kojima’s celebrated video game. This comes on the heels of the relatively unknown Basu also being picked by Universal help reboot their monster universe, and him scripting Monsters: Dark Continent the still in-production sequel to Gareth Edwards’ Monsters.
- I’ll give you two guesses as to who the weirdly made-up actress is in this set image from Zoolander 2. Spoiler alert: If your guesses don’t contain the words “Kristen” and “Wiig”, then you’re probably wrong. Yes, really.
- And since we started today’s Extras talking about Furious 7‘s lack of visual effects, we might as well end today talking about its most impressive: Bringing star Paul Walker back to life. Spoiler alert for those of you that haven’t seen the movie, but in the film’s incredibly heartfelt final sendoff for Walker’s character Brian O’Conner, the late actor is actually not really there, as the entire end sequence was shot with a combination of his brothers acting as body doubles, some nifty CGI and unused footage from past movies all digitally spliced together. And judging by just how many people I saw bawling in the cinema on Saturday, it worked. If you don’t plan to see the movie (are you allergic to fun?!) but still want to see what the fuss is about though, then check out this incredibly emotional music video from Wiz Khalifa (which plays in the background in the movie) which contains snippets of that scene.
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: April 7, 2015