Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- After a batch of initial leaks, and barring one visit from a weepy fat guy, the Star Wars: Episode VII set appears to have been locked down like they had the Coca Cola recipe over there. So what’s the internet to do? Create fake set videos of course! Like this one, created by Youtuber Frank Wunderlich, which is really damn good!
Looks like the Story of Star Wars plays on Earth too in the next Episode. I took these pictures on my Flight back from the States to Germany at the Frankfurt Airport. Seems like the biggest german airport plays a key role as an imperial starport in the new episode — there have just been imperial forces at the scene.
- While you may soon have some Superman in your Arrow, don’t expect to see any Arrow in Batman v Superman. At least not the version you find running around on TV, as star Stephen Amell aka Oliver Queen aka The Arrow in the CBS drama explained to some sure to be disappointed fans who had been holding out hope.
“Hey Guys — I appreciate all the support and enthusiasm, but not everything I post is a cryptic indicator that I’m going to be in Batman V Superman. I’m not going to be in Batman V Superman.
“I’ll be happy to explain why this is the case. Short form – it’s not a barometer on ability or the quality of genre – TV V Film, no pun intended. Everything here boils down to logistics. In any event… thank you for how much support you’ve showed me.
“But keep in mind, playing Arrow on television isn’t a consolation prize. We play the definitive versions of our characters in the DC Universe.”
- And speaking of Batman v Superman, as we recently learned, it’s probably going to be some time before we get to see star Gal Gadot in costume as Wonder Woman. But thanks to this really cool piece of fan art, based on rumoured descriptions of said costume, we may just have an idea of what to expect.
- Poster of the day: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
- And instead of a rumour about Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, we’re levelling up today to bring you a rumour about a rumour about Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice! Booyah! There’ve been some stories popping up all over about additional villains being added to the movie. Some same 3 new villains, others say four. But according to MovieWeb’s sources, all these stories are due to a leaked script… written by Kevin Smith. Yes, Kevin “friends with Ben Affleck” Smith. And no, not the guy actually writing the script for Batman v Superman.
MovieWeb claims that Warner Bros contacted Smith to write a fake script for the movie, which was then purposefully leaked to to bloggers and the like, so as to keep them off the scent of the real story. That actually sounds so ridiculous, it may just be true.
- Finally, after pics of bloody hand prints and people on motorcycles, we finally get to see a pic of an actual dinosaur from Jurassic World. Mostly. The pic popped up on Instagram earlier (via JurassicWorld.org) and it’s been confirmed to be an in-progress animatronic velociraptor to be used in the movie. And in case you were wondering, that muzzle is more than likely just part of the equipment used by the animators in moving the construction around, and not some kind of Dino Riders-esque getup.
- So remember how we were all going on last year about how the stupidly stacked 2015 blockbuster lineup would probably be the death of several geeks due to awesomeness overload? Well, thanks to some shifting schedules and late additions, it would appear that 2016 is now the new 2015. I’m already starting to put some cash away for an underwear fund, as I have a feeling I’ll be running out of unruined ones real fast.
- Michael Bay’s movies may be critic-proof, but that hasn’t stopped lots of critics from giving him a good shellacking for them (Darryn Bonthuys, come on down!). But just because critics may often think of his movies as nothing more than explosive masturbatory aids, doesn’t mean they don’t also say say nice things about the man himself.
- If you found X-Men: Days of Future Past to be too lacking in Vitamin Rogue for your taste, then this should cheer you up. Responding to a fan’s question on Twitter, producer Laura Shuler Donner revealed that a Director’s Cut of the movie will be out later in the year, and it will include several more scenes featuring the power-siphoning mutant played by Anna Paquin. Rogue is only glimpsed very, very briefly in the theatrical cut of the movie, but director Bryan Singer has previously revealed that he shot an entire action sequence in which future Xavier and Magneto have to rescue Rogue from a prison so that she can use her powers to help Kitty Pryde keep Wolverine in the past, but this scene was eventually cut for pacing reasons.
- This first pic of Don Cheadle as jazz legend Miles Davis in the upcoming biopic Miles Ahead, contains what is more than likely the funkiest character “costume” you will see this week outside of Guardians of the Galaxy – and that movie has a talking space raccoon!
- You know what would make the Transformers movies ten times better? You know, besides logic, proper narratives, less annoying human characters, no infantile humour, a shorter runinng time and director Michael Bay not just continuously copying the exact same shots from his previous movies over and over again? WWE styled running commentary courtesy of ol’ Jim Ross!
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: July 8, 2014