Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- So you may have heard that a lot of people were completely vile monsters to Joss Whedon this week, just because they didn’t agree with the direction he took Scarlett Johansson’s Black Widow in in Avengers: Age of Ultron. Very soon after, Whedon quit Twitter. It’s easy to think that those two things are related (because who wouldn’t feel like leaving the room after being told to “eat my ass u bitch ass punk”, right?) but it turns out that they aren’t, but Whedon reveals that that’s “horseshit” and that he left social media just because it’s too distracting and he needed to get some work done.
- You know that awesome scene in Age of Ultron where all the heroes are trying to lift Thor’s hammer (which has now taken on a very different meaning) but they can’t because they’re not worthy? Yeah, that’s not true.
- If you ever hoped that Tom Hardy would play ALL the superheroes, then you may just get your wish. After losing out on Suicide Squad due to scheduling, and then revealing that he wants to play The Punisher for Marvel, Hardy has now revealed that he’s actually got something major in the pipeline with Warner Bros/DC for a different comic book movie.
“I actually got something cooking with Warner Bros. which is also a comic book, it’s a DC thing which is kind of… It’s really good actually, it contains elements of all kinds of stuff. From Ocean’s Eleven, to Batman, you can get all the wrappers out and it would be a big, really cool, Technicolor, Pulp Fiction…It’s a psychological [frick]fest, it’s absolutely awesome. It’s as if you would take Transmetropolitan and make it happen, but it’s not that out there it’s something which is much more real world. It could be like Heat, it could be [frick]ing awesome… try and guess.
It’s real estate, it’s PRIME real estate which is sitting there right under everybody’s nose that no one’s really thought about yet and it goes TV and movie, it’s awesome. I can’t believe that nobody has even –I know they thought of it but no one has actually blown life into it yet.”
What the hell could it be?
- Poster of the Day: Kill Bill Vol. 2
- Just in case you’ve forgotten that Idris Elba is awesome, he’s decided to remind you by breaking an 88-year old British land speed record known as “The Flying Mile”. The Pacific Rim star bested the previous top speed of 174.8 mph set by Sir Malcolm Campbell in 1927, but pushing his Bentley Continental GT Speed to 180.361 mph while filming the autobiographical documentary series Idris Elba: No Limits on a beach in South Wales.
Idris Elba: Beat Apartheid. Cancelled the apocalypse. Fastest actor in Britain.
- Marlon Wayans is officially making a spoof film titled Fifty Shades of Black, and I have a feeling it’s probably going to be more sexy than the actual Fifty Shades of Grey.
- This is why Benny Hill never made it big in the world of superhero movies.
- Before today, if you had asked me what “HHHH” is, I would have told you that it’s probably a stuttering Joker. Turns out though, that it’s a movie that we should really be keeping an eye out for. HHHH is an upcoming WWII drama based on the novel by Laurent Binet“
And if that plot wasn’t enough to get you on board, have a look at the cast: Jason Clarke stars as Heydrich, Rosamund Pike plays his aristocratic wife, Jack O’Connell and Jack Reynor will be the two assassins, and Mia Wasikowska will play a Czech resistance fighter.
- It’s Mother’s Day this Sunday, so why not get your mom a gift she really wants: The chance to f#$k Wolverine.
- The IMAX bookings for Mad Max: Fury Road are now open! What are you waiting for? It’s a lovely day to get your tickets!
- The last time we featured an visually incredible sci-fi short film on here, it was Leviathan, which then went on to get turned into a feature film by Neill Blomkamp and Simon Kinberg. So, Andrée Wallin, creator of this incredible looking post-apocalyptic sci-fi short film titled State Zero, let’s hope our streak continues!
In the near future, the capital of Sweden has turned into a post-apocalyptic wasteland. We join four soldiers on a routine mission in ‘zone 3’, with the assignment to investigate an old surveillance tower that just went offline.
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to email@example.com.
Last Updated: May 8, 2015