Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- So the big comic book news for today is of course that Sam Wilson aka Falcon will be taking over from Steve Rogers as Captain America, and in honour of that we have this super hero beat down, which has the Star Spangled Avenger going toe-to-Mjolnir-armoured-toe with Halo’s Master Chief.
- There are many people who have something against Megan Fox, and many others who wish they could have something agains Megan Fox, ifyanowhadameen! The former group were probably not too happy that the toe-thumbed Ms Fox was cast as plucky reporter April O’Neil in the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, and so the young actress has some words for them.
“Someone’s always going to be upset about something. When you’re [making] a movie like this and making it live-action, there are things where you’ll have to depart from the original material a little bit. People will be disappointed, but I think people will be overwhelmed with how exciting and amazing and how fresh and how true to the original this is — but you can’t please everyone all the time. I’ve never had more people come up to me to tell me they’re excited about a movie than this one. Nothing I’ve been a part of before has had that sort of reaction.”
- Screw the Battle of the Five Armies, get ready for the Battle of the Two Tolkien Biopics! As is often the case in Hollywood, two very similar, competing films have been announced, both looking at the “Lord of the Rings” author J.R.R. Tolkien’s life. Fox Searchlight is developing Tolkien, and there’s not much info about it other than it is being penned by Irish writer David Gleeson and will probably be a big budget affair. On the other end of the budgetary scale though indie studio Attractive Films are developing Tolkien & Lewis as a directing vehicle for Simon West. Yes, the guy who directed The Expendables 2 and Con-Air.
This latter project sounds very intriguing though as it tracks the relationship between Tolkien and his Oxford University colleague C.S. Lewis, an agnostic who the devout Catholic Tolkien converted to Christianity, the result of which was Lewis penning his Chronicles of Narnia books. As Lewis gained more fame in the Christian circles though, and the two men’s views on certain religious matters differed, their personal and working relationships would became more and more strained.
- Chris Nolan and JJ Abrams has nothing on Duncan Jones. The World of Warcraft director has run such a tight ship on his big budget videogame adaptation, that he’s made other very secretive directors look like they work for The Daily Sun. And with that level of silence, it’s only fitting that Jones next project will probably be Mute. The film – which is Blade Runner-ish sci-fi flick that follows a mute bartender in a future Berlin who takes on a bunch of gangsters in search of his kidnapped girlfriend – has been a passion project of Jones’ for years, which he has not yet been able to get off the ground. It probably didn’t help that an early draft of the script leaked online years ago.
But according to Jones twitter timeline, the writer-director is looking to take one last swing at the idea before writing it off for good.
Thinking about what film I want to try and do after Warcraft. May give Mute one more push before I put it on the “Don Quixote” shelf.
— Duncan Jones (@ManMadeMoon) July 15, 2014
- Poster of the Day: Horns
- Ah, Green Lantern, you piece of emerald excrement. Yes, sirree, an Honest Trailer couldn’t have happened to a better (worse?) movie.
- No, this is not the first poster for a new gritty reboot of the Smurfs (Damn, Gutsy Smurf got buff!) is actually a new character poster for Guardians of the Galaxy giving us our first clear look at Michael Rooker’sYondu. That’s his character’s name, not a sexual euphemism.
- Speaking of comics, Valiant Entertainment’s popular and critically acclaimed super hero buddy comic Archer & Armstrong is getting a big screen live-action adaptation of its own. Originally created in 1992 by comic legends Jim Shooter, Barry Windsor-Smith and Bob Layton, the title was given a modern upgrade five years ago by writer Fred Van Lente and artist Clayton Henry as part of Valiant’s revival of some of their classic titles.
The Sean Daniel Company – the same production company behind the upcoming reboots of Ben Hur and The Mummy – have tapped BenDavid Grabinski to pen a script for the feature film, which will follow young Obadiah Archer, possesed of the ability to copy any fighting style he sees and who was raised by a cult to battle the “Great Satan”. Except when Archer finally confronts said Satan, it turns out to be a hard drinking, skirt chasing immortal called Armstrong, who couldn’t care less about armageddon. And after Archer discovers that all he has been taught is a lie, he and Armstrong team up to unearth a globe-spanning conspiracy that has dire consquences for them both. All while have big fat jol along the way, of course.
- If a Futurama 3D movie should ever be made, and the studios don’t rope in digital artist Alexey Zakharov, the creator of these two incredible test reels, then there officially is no justice left in the world.
- My entire life is a failure. I have no idea how I have spent 33 years on this planet, not knowing about Miami Connection. And that’s after the Alamo Drafthouse re-released this piece of golden cheddar in 2012. How did none of you guys tell me about this?! I thought we were friends?!
The year is 1987. Motorcycle ninjas tighten their grip on Florida’s narcotics trade, viciously annihilating anyone who dares move in on their turf. Multi-national martial arts rock band Dragon Sound have had enough, and embark on a roundhouse wreck-wave of crime-crushing justice. When not chasing beach bunnies or performing their hit song “Against the Ninja,” Mark (kung-fu master/inspirational speaker Y.K. Kim) and the boys are kicking and chopping at the drug world’s smelliest underbelly. It’ll take every ounce of their blood and courage, but Dragon Sound can’t stop until they’ve completely destroyed the dealers, the drunk bikers, the kill-crazy ninjas, the middle-aged thugs, the “stupid cocaine”…and the entire MIAMI CONNECTION!!!
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: July 17, 2014