Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- Because posting 140 behind the scenes pics from sci-fi classic Blade Runner would most likely result in your bandwidth being instantly drained, you’re going to have to settle for this link instead that leads you to a treasure trove of images. Or you could go through the gallery below which I’ve just remembered can be embedded. I swear, it’s like I have a five-year case of selective memory…
- “You, Mr. Queen, are not a hero. You’re a villain.” So sayeth this new trailer for Arrow season 3, which is chockful of spoilers! And a boxing glove arrow! I may be lying about one of those.
- The game my dear Watson, is most definitely on my foot. Tally-ho, and all that. While my knowledge of the traditional Sherlock Holmes may be limited to two rather fantastic Guy Ritchie movies, I’ve been enthralled by three seasons of the more modern day sleuth portrayed by Benedict Cumbermatch. While season 4 is still a long way aways, a Christmas special is on the way. And this time, Holmes and Watson will be cracking cases and skulls in Victorian England. Showrunner Steven Moffat confirmed the news, describing the special as “its own thing”.
- Poster Of The Day: Barney Gumble’s Pukahontas
- I’m late to House Of Cards party, the US remake of the UK show that is. While I’m only a handful of episodes into the first season, I’m kind of digging it thanks to Kevin Spacey playing an unrepetant and amoral politician (More than the usual kind anyway) who has a hunger for power. That’s a theme that was echoed in the brilliant second season as well, although the current third season on Netflix hasn’t been as well received. The reason why? Apparently, it has to do with Francis no longer having the eye of the tiger.
- If there’s one Star Wars Expanded Uinverse character that Kervyn won’t shut up about, it has to be Exar Kun. Kervyn usually prattles on and on about the famed Sith Lord, before showing me his custom lightsaber and cutting me in half before scarpering off as I get better. Usually by then, I’ve lost enough blood and trauma-induced memories to have forgotten the whole ordeal. But this handy guide should fill you in on one of the greatest Sith Lords to ever live:
- Scientologists. They are to religion what Cape Town members of your family are when you host a massive get-together. In other words, keep sharp items away from them, nod your head when they start spewing useless trivia about glutens/Lord Xenu and maybe if you ignore them they’ll go away. Thing is, scientology commands a crapload of power and influence in Hollywood. And when it comes to documentaries that expose their entire scam, they’ve got a department that has been specially set up to attack these productions, as the producers of the HBO doccie Going Clear have had to learn the hard way.
- The much better, actual poster of the day: The Descent
- There are many, many notable people who deserve to be given the key to the city. Unfortuantely, none of them have ever built a weather dominator device to scramble the climates of the world, nor do they field an international military force that puts the UN to shame. Clearly, COBRA Commander is most deserving of the key to the city of Springfield in Illinois! CO-BRA!
- With Tim Burton doing what he does best (remaking classic movies), you can expect his version of Dumbo to be a tad bit darker. And possibly portrayed by Johnny Depp in a motion capture suit. That’s not to say that the original movie wasn’t traumatic however, as several decades haven’t exactly lessened the blow of the ending of that film. Probably why Burton wants it, but I digress. So naturally, with a cartoon creature about to meet a horrific fate, resident nutjob animal rights activists PETA have decided to petition Burton to change the ending. No word yet on those jive-talking, racist crows however.
- Oh that Justin Bieber. Such a rapscallion. Why, I bet that roast of the diminutive and vocally high-pitched crooner went off without a hitch, right? Yep, everyone had a good laugh, jests were made and Bieber proved that night that he not be an unrepentant waste of human skin and organs after all! Pity the same can’t be said for some of the “comedians” present, whose Paul Walker jokes elicited more groans than guffaws.
- Will Ferrell and Kevin Hart are two fantastic comedians with incredibly different styles of comedy. So obviously, it’s a brilliant idea to see the two Get Hard stars audition for each others movies with odd results:
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: March 18, 2015