Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- Taken 3 is a horrible turd of a movie, that needs to be flushed down a toilet. Super Mario Bros is a horrible, turd of a movie about plumbers who fix toilets. So of course somebody did a mash-up of the two! And it’s awesome!
- As the saying goes, don’t count your golden statue-shaped eggs before they hatched. That’s something that Jennifer Aniston found out the hard way last week, as she was forced to cancel an Oscar nomination press junket that she had arranged. You know, the Oscar nomination that she didn’t get for Best Actress in Cake, but which she was clearly convinced was on the way. Oi vey.
- Speaking of getting ahead of yourself, Henry “Man of Steel” Cavill recently spoke about the upcoming Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justin Bieber and got all hyperbolic and precognitive.
“It’s Zack Snyder, so it’s going to be a visual spectacle, and it’s cinematic history. We’re doing Batman and we’re doing Superman and it’s all happening at the same time. So fingers crossed it turns out to be as exciting as I think it is.”
- Poster of the day: Game of Thrones
- Apparently a fan-edit of the first two Hobbit movie exists that drops virtually all of the non-book elements as well trims out all of Peter Jackson’s unnecessary padding, to make a single really awesome movie. Now if only I can get my hands on this version.
- Here’s the first official on-set pic from Now You See Me: The Second Act, a movie about magic that I didn’t care too much for, but which others certainly did as here we are with a sequel now also featuring arguably the most famous movie magic user of the last decade in Harry Potter. Yes, that’s him with the beard on the right.
- Of course an all-female porn parody of Archer exists, this is the internet after all and Rule 34 is in effect. Oh and don’t worry, that link is Safe For Work, but may leave you feeling very confused about Krieger.
- Some good news/bad news for The Huntsman, the upcoming sequel to 2012’s Snow White and the Hunstman. Bad news: Writer/director Frank Darabont has apparently dropped out of the production over that old Hollywood nugget: creative differences. As Darabont was the biggest drawcard for me for this sequel (that and the lack of Kristen Stewart this time around), I only have one thing to that: Boo! Those boos quickly change into yays though with the additional good news: Emily Blunt is in talks to star as the film’s antagonist, the snow queen sister to Charlize Theron’s returning Ravenna. The sequel will apparently find the duo of villainous sisters will be trying to track down and do mean things to Christ Hemsworth’s titular Hunstman after he steals Ravenna famous magical mirror.
- And speaking of movies starring Kristen Stewart, JoBlo’s latest edition of Movie CliffsNotes are here, and this time they’re looking at Twilight to hilarious effect. Oh that “Better Best Dialogue Ever” gets me every time.
- And keeping with the theme of things sucking… When NBC cancelled production on freshman comic book adaptation Constantine last year, it looked the show was dust. But the TV network actually adopted a wait and see approach, rescheduling the show to a much better primetime 8pm slot after its mid-season hiatus in the hopes that the new time will push up the show’s flagging ratings. Well, the show debuted in its new timeslot this past Friday, and unfortunately for fans, the ratings were now even lower than what they were before the change – in fact, they were the lowest the show has ever seen. That was the “sucking” part, in case you haven’t realized this.
I marathoned all 8 current episodes of the show over the weekend, and although it’s not the best thing on TV ever (and definitely not in the same league as it’s source comic), it’s a really enjoyable supernatural jaunt with a really strong lead in Matt Ryan. And I kind of don’t want to see it go now.
- Fellow local movie guy (as in he actually works on movies and doesn’t just watch them like me) De Wet Nagel, has recently launched his own new movie news channel on Youtube, where he’ll be tackling all kinds of movie topics. He’s posted his first video, which sees him explaining and laying out the whole Marvel Cinematic Universe, which you can check out below. If you like what you see, let him know in the comments, and go support some local guys.
- Ever since the Oscar nominations were announced last week, there’s been a lot of online buzz about them. Unfortunately for the Academy, most of the buzz has been about the lack of diversity, spearheaded ed by the #OscarsSoWhite hashtag on Twitter. But the thing is, as much as we want to see diversity in our nominated movies, the problem runs much deeper than that, as there is an almost complete lack of diversity in the industry itself that needs to be addressed first. Here, let this handy infographic break it all down for you.
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last Updated: January 19, 2015