Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- Here’s the first pic of Johnny Depp in Black Mass and lo and behold, he actually doesn’t have any funny hat/crow on his head! Or hair! In the Scott Cooper (Crazy Heart) directed crime drama Depp plays infamous real-life gang boss Whitey Bulger, the brother of state senator who “became the most feared gangster in Boston while simultaneously serving as an FBI informant to take down the Italian Mafia.”
- And just to restore balance to the Depp-Force, here he is with a funny hat on his head in the first pic from Pirates of the Caribbean 5.
Captain Jack is back and we’re not letting him go. pic.twitter.com/m6VVRTyFQm
— JERRY BRUCKHEIMER (@BRUCKHEIMERJB) April 21, 2015
- Avengers: Age of Ultron only opens in the US next week (suck it, yanks!), but it will hit local screens as well as various other international regions tomorrow. And according to early estimates its going to crush the box office competition this weekend with an expected opening haul of between $160 million and $175 million.
- You know that brand new Full House revival that Netflix is planning? Yeah, well it would appear that somebody forgot to tell Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen that it was happening.
“We just found out about it today,. I guess we’re going to talk to the creators and see what’s happening.”
“I ran into Bob [Saget] the other day and we didn’t even talk about it. I’m shocked I haven’t heard from John [Stamos]. I’m going to call [Saget] and get his perspective.”
- Poster of the day: No Country For Old Men
- A lot of people have weighed in with their thoughts on the teaser trailer for Batman v Superman: Groin of Wetness*, but we still have to hear from the two people with the most important opinion on this whole thing: Batman and Superman.
- Steve Coogan is going all apartheid! No, the British funny man isn’t suddenly an archaic racist, but he is set to star in Shepherds and Butchers, a South African drama directed by local filmmaker Oliver Schmitz (Paris Je’Taime, Mapantsula) and scripted/produced by Brian Cox (). Coogan will play “a jaded defense lawyer in Apartheid-era South Africa take on the case of a white prison guard working on death row who killed seven people in an incident of road rage.”
- I hope that folks over at Starz know how to keep their [email protected]#$ing tempo, as the network has greenlit a new sci-fi series starring recent Oscar winner JK Simmons. Counterpart will see Simmons as Howard Silk, “a lowly cog in a bureaucratic UN agency who is turning the last corner of a life filled with regret, when he discovers the agency he works for is guarding a secret: a crossing to a parallel dimension. Through Howard and his “Counterpart” on the other side, Prime, the show will navigate themes of identity, idealism, what ifs, and lost love.”
That admittedly sounds very Fringe-y, but if Simmons gets to shout at people, then I’m all for it. The series is written and created by Justin Marks, who also wrote Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li, so YIKES! The first two episodes though will be directed The Imitation Game‘s Morten Tyldum so YAY!
- Despite the fact that I’ve watched Fight Club several times, I’ve never ever read the novel by Chuck Paluhniak that it was based on. But was I really missing out on much? We’ll let’s find out!
- Are you planning to watch Avengers: Age of Ultron tonight? Maybe Guardians of the Galaxy was so good that your brain had make room for all the awesomeness so it deleted your memories of the previous Marvel movies and now you can’t remember how we got to this point? Well, then luckily for you, we have this handy recap of all the Marvel movies up till now!
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: April 23, 2015