Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- Fact: Adding the word “Fact” in front of your sentence, instantly makes it 100% true. Fact: Sin City: A Dame to Kill For bombed hard at the US box office this weekend past. So instead of dwelling on that bit of misery, let’s rather take a look back at Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller’s first, much more successful effort with some Fun F*cking Facts!
- Some kids dream of becoming an astronaut, some kids dream of becoming a giant, bald ruler of a criminal empire. Vincent D’Onofrio may not have been one of these latter kids, but he’ll still be playing the hulking Wilson Fisk aka Kingpin in Marvel’s upcoming Daredevil series on Netflix. D’Onofrio spoke to Screen Crush about how some actors consider working for Marvel a “childhod fantasy come to life” and also how his Kingpin is going to be different
“Yeah. I mean, it’s kinda cool. The thing about Marvel is that they’re not – they’re into real acting. They’re looking for artists that are willing to take chances and are willing to create characters, even if that character has been around for years and years in comic books, they still are depending on us to create something and take it somewhere else.Robert Downey [Jr.] is the perfect example of that. Who knew that Iron Man was going to be who Robert made him?… And Jon Favreau. I would have never guessed Iron Man was going to be that kind of Tony Stark. Not in a million years, and, you know, that’s because of Jon and especially Robert. So, everybody is following suit with that. Personally, I felt Downey kind of led the way in that, and he’s kind of said to the studios and to the public, “It can work. These Marvel things can work.”
“I think – it’s not just me, by the way, it’s the writer. It’s Steven DeKnight, it’s Jeph Loeb at Marvel, it’s the scripts, and it’s me. I think it’s gonna be the … I hope — I should say – I hope it’s gonna be the new way to look at Wilson Fisk. I think that there will be no other Wilson Fisk but this one after we’re all done with it. That’s what we’re hoping for.
- Speaking of Marvels’ Netflix series (which has Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones and Iron Fist series leading to a The Defenders mini-series), the COO of the media streaming company Ted Sarandos spoke to Empire Magazine (via CBM) about their plans, revealing that they are currently casting for Jessica Jones, and confirming that there have been talks about these series crossing over with Marvel’s movies. He also spoke about why they chose these characters, and what makes them different from the heroes in those movies.
“It was really based on the theatrical model of The Avengers. Could you take another group of characters, The Defenders, and go about it the same way? Normally they do the big movie and then eventually they get to the group origin story. Having 13 hours to tell each of these stories, you can go right to the origin story and the action at the same time.”
“The series will not be afraid to go darker than the film did. What we love about this particular set of heroes is that they’re a little more down to Earth. Costume wise and also in that these are gritty crime stories, more in the streets than in the clouds.”
- Poster of the day: Dead Snow 2: Red vs Dead
- This Brooklyn pizza place that created a special menu in honour of the recently passed Robin Williams wins the Internet for today.
- We haven’t really seen funnyman Steve Martin in anything in a while, but he’ll be returning to his Disney magic roots to star in Magic Camp, a new family comedy that the Mouse House is developing. The comedian, who got his start as a magician on Disney’s Magic Shop, actually co-wrote the latest draft of the script with A.C.O.D.‘s Stu Zicherman. Martin will play “a straitlaced banker who returns to Magic Camp, which he attended as a shy child. This time he is a counselor who makes it his mission to improve the lives of all the kids while keeping an eye on his ultimate prize, the top spot at the Golden Wand competition.”
- Speaking of Goldne Wand’s… If you’ve watched the new season premier of Doctor Who but didn’t get all tingly in your nethers about it, then you may have better luck with Doctor Whore. Yes, you read that right. A new porn parody of the long running BBC sci-fi show is coming out and i09 has the Safe For Work trailer for your viewing pleasure. Just a warning: While this trailer contains no nudity or sexually explicit material, it is filled with ludicrous characters (Cyber-Semen) and horrific Doctor Who related puns (Eggs-Sperminate!). Unfortunately, there’s no embed available for the trailer, so you’ll have to click on the link above, to see more than just this pic of the Doctor and River Dong *groan*.
- As you may have heard, a trailer for Quentin Tarantino’s Hateful Eight was attached to Sin City: A Dame To Kill For. However, if you should ask one of the 17 people who actually watched Sin City this past weekend – or the guys at Collider – they will tell you that the trailer is actually nothing more than just some text on screen accompanied by some music.
Still sticking with the Hateful Eight news, there’s a rumour going around that Jennifer Lawrence is in talks to join the blood splattered Western. This is a bit interesting as Tarantino already has a full, unofficial cast for the movie, who he used to do a live-reading of the script a while back. The only two female roles were already “played” by Zoe Bell and Amber Tamblyn, so who would Lawrence be playing then?
- We haven’t seen Keanu Reeves decked out all in black wielding guns in a long while, and this first pic from upcoming thriller John Wick remedies that. Sort of. It appears he’s swapped out the leather pants and ankle length coats for a sensible polo-neck and some Sunday shoes. In the movie, Reeves plays “a retired hit man is forced back into action by a sadistic young thug, he hunts down his adversaries with the skill and ruthlessness that made him an underworld legend”, which totally doesn’t sound like any other movie we may have recently seen.
- It’s amazing how times have changed. Back in the day, D.H. Lawrence’s novel Lady Chatterly’s Lover was pretty much considered as hardcore porn because it had some naughty words in it, and yet nowadays a Nick Minaj “Anaconda” music video is just a few mouse clicks away. BBC are doing a new adaptation of the 19th century drama, and have cast The Borgias‘ Holliday Grainger as Lady Chatterly herself while, Game of Thrones‘ Richard Madden aka Robb Stark has landed the titular role as her scandalous lothario.
- And that segues nicely into this next piece, which just so happens to be about Game of Thrones. I must warn you though that this clip contains spoilers for lots of major scene, so you should only watch is if you’ll already seen Season 4. Also, if you want to laugh your behind off at having these major scenes recut with 8-bit video game sounds.
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: August 25, 2014