Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- This ALS Ice Bucket Challenge craze is still going on, and if there’s one person who really shouldn’t have a problem with some cold water dropped on his head, it’s Superman. Unfortunately for Lois Lane, she also got roped into this.
- It’s finally happened! Donald Glover is going to be Spider-Man! Yes, okay it’s just the voice of a cartoon Spider-Man but shush, and let me have my moment here. Why the big fuss? Well, the Community star has been obsessed with the arachnid wall crawler since he was a kid and when Sony were only beginning to think about rebooting their movie franchise a few years back, Glover petitioned for his dream role online, completely decked out in a Spidey costume. You may notice that Donald Glover is black, while Peter Parker is white, something that definitely didn’t dissuade Glover. Marvel Comics were busy at the time putting together a story that would end with the death of the Peter Parker of their Ultimate line of comics (a parallel universe, if you will) and when writer Brian Michael Bendis heard of Glover’s dream, it influenced him to create the new Spider-Man of the Ultimate Universe: Mile Morales, a half-black, half-Latino kid.
And in the upcoming season of the Ultimate Spider-Man: Web Warriors animated show on Disney XD, Peter Parker is about to embark on a parallel universe hopping tour, that will actually see him run into Miles Morales, who will be voiced by… Yep, you guessed it!
- Poster of the day: Gangs of New York
- Yo, pirates! No, not you guys in Somalia. I’m talking to those other pirates who download movies off the internet all day. Thanks to you losers, we won’t be getting to see any more of Chloe Moretz as Hit-Girl in another Kick-Ass movie.
“Sadly, I think I’m done with the character. Hit-Girl was a very cool character, but I don’t think there will be any more movies. You make these movies for the fanboys, but nowadays everyone seems to pirate them rather than watch them in the movie theater.”
“Kick-Ass 2 was one of the number-one pirated movies of the year, but that doesn’t help us because we need box office figures. We need to prove to the distributors that we can make money from a third and a fourth movie—but because it didn’t do so well, we can’t make another one. If you want more than one movie, everyone has to go and see movies at the cinema. It’s all about the numbers in the theater.”
- Director John Moore – he of A Good Day To Die Hard and Max Payne fame (which is another way of saying “Boooooo!” – has been tapped to direct Pierce Brosnan in an upcoming thriller called I.T. I’m really not making that title up. The script, written by Terminator 2‘s William Wisher, sees Brosnan as “a successful publisher whose relationship with a young I.T. consultant sours. He soon finds the former friend is using technology to threaten his family, business, and life.”
If there’s not a single bad joke about turning something off and on again, I will consider this movie an instant failure.
- So did you catch the delayed broadcast of the Emmys last night? If you did, you may have seen this segment from Weird Al Yankovic – who has been having one hell of a good year – as he parodied the opening theme songs of several of the biggest shows.
- Bonus poster of the day: Jessabelle
- Acclaimed award winning director David Fincher’s Gone Girl is looking great. It’s based on a famous, very good novel, has the guy who made movies like Fight Club, Se7en and The Social Network behind the camera, and boasts an incredibly talented cast consisting of folks like Ben Affleck, Rosamund Pike, Scoot McNairy, Neil Patrick Harris and… Tyler Perry? One of these things, is not like the others. Perry, most famous as the man behind the old-lady makeup in the Madea movies is certainly an odd choice, especially considering the fact that he had no clue about Gillian Flynn’s novel, or who David Fincher – one of the most influential directors working today – even was.
“I probably would have walked away from it. If I had known who David Fincher was, and his body of work, or if I’d known the book was so popular, I would have said, No. And my agent knew that! He didn’t tell me until after I signed on!”
Wait, so if he had known who Fincher was, he would have bailed? Because clearly being associated with that guy is going to tarnish his street rep, right?
- Poor Darryn has just about completed his therapy after being exposed to the nightmarish faces of the latest Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. He can consider himself lucky though that these Ninja Turtles character designs from concept artist Anthony Francisco ended up being rejected, or else he’d be a permanent fixture on that therapist’ couch.
- There is a reboot of 90’s sitcom Full House in the works, and no this is not a practical joke. Nearly two decades after the show ended, it is still racking up the dollars due to syndication, and that has apparently inspired Warner Bros TV to take a look at reviving it. John “Uncle Jessie” Stamos is apparently one of the biggest driving factors of this relaunch (not surprising, since he has an ownership stake), with several members of the original cast looking to return, including Candace Cameron Bure (D.J.), Jodie Sweetin (Stephanie) and Andrea Barber (Kimmy). Stamos’ two other male peers, Bob Saget (Danny) and Dave Coulier (Joey) are also said to be involved in some way.
There’s no mention of the return of now-grownup baby Michelle, who was played at the time by both Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen (who spun the role into a career of making money with . If the character was to return, which of the twins would play her? Or would the studio do the sensible thing and just get their much more talented sister Elizabeth?
- Look, I don’t mean to brag, but due to my years of being a comic book geek, I know a lot about Guardians of the Galaxy. Clearly, you can’t all be as awesome as me, but you can certainly get closer to that goal by watching this video on 7 Things You (Probably) Didn’t Know About Guardians of the Galaxy.
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: August 27, 2014