Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- I think it’s safe to say that today is Marvel Day! We wrote all about the major announcement made by the comic book film studio this morning, but we’re still busy a) picking our jaws up off the floor and b) picking up little nuggets of info. Nuggets that can be found, for example, in the almost 20-minute long Q&A session that Marvel Films boss Kevin Feige held after the big announcement in which he addressed a few burning questions. Among them he speaks about Benedict Cumberbatch’s casting as Doctor Strange (“If it were confirmed, we would introduce him today,”) and the rumours of talks with Sony to bring Spider-Man into the MCU fold (“Anything that wasn’t specifically and obviously revealed today is either not true at all, or still rumor until it’s worked out.”).
- It’s now been confirmed that Chadwick Boseman has signed a 5 movie deal with Marvel to star as Black Panther. We already know for a fact the first two of those movies will be Captain America: Civil War and Black Panther itself, and you would have to think that he would be in the two Infinity War movies. So that leaves one more movie only, possibly a Black Panther sequel?
- Pajiba has a very well thought out and intriguing list of 5 actress who they would cast as Carol Danvers in Captain Marvel. I have to say, I couldn’t agree more with all five of their choices.
- Poster of the day: Fan created posters for Family Guy Star Wars trilogy
- If you’re fans of Ben Affleck, the clothes he wears (or doesn’t) and the cars he drives, then these new rumours from Batman v Superman: Dawn of Just The Two Of Us is just for you.
- And speaking of Batmen with funny costumes, it would seem that yesterday’s report that Joel Schumacher was looking to pen a 12-issue comic book sequel to his much maligned Batman & Robin has now been officially debunked. Regular Batman artist Dustin Nguyen, who was supposedly going to draw the series, indicated that he has no idea where the rumour sprang from.
- And before you ask, yes, we actually do have some non-comic book movie related news today. Case in point, this hilarious opening scene to Jermaine Clement’s vampire mockumentary Things We Do In the Shadows which has just popped up online.
- I know kung fu. And I also know 11 other interesting details in The Matrix that you may have missed.
- And staying with Keanu Reeves, it looks like His Royal Woahness is getting back into the sci-fi business again as he has signed up to star in Replicas (which surprisingly doesn’t involve Jean Claude van Damme and his twin brother/clone/lookalike). The film will see Reeves playing “a daring neuroscientist” – no, really! – who loses his family in a car accident and “will stop at nothing to bring them back, even if it means pitting himself against a government-controlled laboratory, a police task force, and the physical laws of science themselves.”
- Jordan Peele, one half of comedy duo Key & Peele, will be leaving behind all the Ha Ha’s for the Aaah Aaah’s – those are supposed to shouts of terror, so just use your imagination, okay? -as he is is set to write and direct horror movie Get Out. Not much is known about the story, but it seems that Peele is intending to flip the “black guy always dies first” horror trope on its head.
“I’ve been spending the first half of my career focusing on comedy but my goal, in all honesty, is to write and direct horror movies. I have one that I’m working on with Darko Entertainment called Get Out – I don’t want to say too much about it, but it is one of the very, very few horror movies that does jump off of racial fears. That to me is a world that hasn’t been explored. Specifically, the fears of being a black man today. The fears of being any person who feels like they’re a stranger in any environment that is foreign to them. It deals with a protagonist that I don’t see in horror movies.”
- I’ll be honest, I posted this short entitled The Life and Death of Tommy Chaos and Stacey Danger before I had even seen a single frame of it. That’s because besides for it having characters called Tommy Chaos and Stacey Danger, this apparently action-packed and fun short film features dinosaurs with frickin’ lasers on their heads! What more could you possibly want?
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to [email protected]
Last Updated: October 29, 2014