With the Wizard of Oz reigning supreme at the box office, it’s going to take something just as magical to knock it off of its perch. That’s where the new Steve Carrell comedy The Incredible Burt Wonderstone came in over the weekend, filled with magnificent haor and even more pomp in a Las Vegas style illusion of magic that would make the wizard himself envious. Could they succeed on that yellow brick road then?
Oh hell no, they absolutely stunk, it seems.
Oz held onto it’s first place lead with a commanding total of over $42 million, while Burt Wonderstone made a small flash of a dent with a third place $10 million, behind Halle Berry’s latest effort, The Call, which was in second place. Identity Thief and Silver Linings Playbook are still sticking around in the top ten with no end in sight for the Jason Bateman comedy yet, although it looks like the David Russell directed flick may be losing some steam after 18 weeks at the box office.
As for everyone else, here’s who made what:
- Oz The Great and Powerful – $42.2 Million
- The Call – $17.1 Million
- The Incredible Burt Wonderstone – $10.3 Million
- Jack The Giant-Slayer – $6.2 Million
- Identity Thief – $4.5 Million
- Snitch – $3.5 Million
- 21 And Over – $2.6 Million
- Silver Linings Playbook – $2.5 Million
- Safe Haven – $2.4 Million
- Escape From Planet Earth – $2.3 Million
Last Updated: March 18, 2013