They say that revenge is a dish best served cold. I say they’re absolutely right, especially if revenge happens to be a day-old Debonairs triple-decker pizza straight out of the fridge. Also, my stomach is clearly a heel, as it prefers to smack healthy dietary choices with a steel chair every time it gets the chance to do so.
Now the road to Wrestlemania may have reached a conclusion, but Payback is coming and it is indeed something that rhymes with “switch”. The fifth event of its kind since the superstar shake-up of several weeks ago, Payback happens to be a cross between RAW and Smackdown as old scores are settled for good as the respective shows look to start anew. Here’s the full match line-up for this Sunday:
- Enzo Amore and Big Cass vs. Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson – Tag team match
- Kevin Owens (c) vs. Chris Jericho – Singles match for the WWE United States Championship
- The Hardy Boyz (Matt Hardy and Jeff Hardy) (c) vs. Cesaro and Sheamus – Tag team match for the WWE Raw Tag Team Championship
- Randy Orton vs. Bray Wyatt – House of Horrors match for the WWE Championship
- Neville (c) vs. Austin Aries – Singles match for the WWE Cruiserweight Championship
- Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman – Singles match
- Seth Rollins vs. Samoa Joe – Singles match
- Bayley (c) vs. Alexa Bliss – Singles match for the WWE Raw Women’s Championship
Last year’s Payback produced some stellar matches, even if it did start with a stinker between Baron Corbin and Dolph Ziggler that was mercifully done with quickly. A few solid matches in with terrible endings (Charlotte Flair getting her own Montreal screwjob over Natalya because Vince McMahon won’t allow the storyline to ever fade gracefully into the sunset), the final bouts of the night were magic.
Chris Jericho schooling Dean Ambrose was a treat, while Roman Reigns proved that even if he has the appeal of two day-old car crash he can still work one hell of a match when given the right opponent such as AJ Styles. The winner of that night was still easily Kevin Owens going one on one against Sami Zayn, as the two rivals put on a show for the ages that saw Owens romp home to a well-deserved victory.
Hopefully this year’s Payback can also deliver a few gems.
Last Updated: April 28, 2017