The Spike VGAs may have had a name change this year to the VGX awards, but it was business as usual for the MTV Movie Awards of gaming. There were losers and there were winners that night. Here’s the list of developers and games that walked away with top honours that night.
- Best Song – “Will the Circle be Unbroken” (BioShock Infinite)
- Best Soundtrack – Grand Theft Auto V
- Best Voice Actress – Ashley Johnson
- Best Voice Actor – Troy Baker
- Best Casual game – Animal Crossing: New Leaf
- Best Handheld game – The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
- Best PC game – Gone Home
- Best Nintendo game – Super Mario 3D World
- Best PlayStation game – The Last of Us
- Best Xbox game – Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
- Best DLC – Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
- Best Driving game – Forza Motorsport 5
- Best Fighting game – Injustice: Gods Among Us
- Best RPG – Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
- Best Independent game – Gone Home
- Best Sports game – NBA 2K14
- Best Action Adventure game – Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag
- Best Shooter – BioShock Infinite
- Studio of the Year – Naughty Dog
- Game of the Year – Grand Theft Auto V
A couple of good choices there, a couple of not so good decisions. Of course, the Spike VGX awards are only one of many, many awards that will be handed out to various games this year, with the far more prestigious and sought-after Lazygamer Awards arriving at the end of the year.
The only award that actually matters, it’ll be up soon. And by soon, I mean by as soon as we’re done voting. So far, Zoe has lost three fingers trying to convince us that Call of Duty: Ghosts should not win best driving game of the year, but the democratic chainsaw said otherwise.
Truth, Justice, Integrity and the North Korean way. The Lazygamer Awards will be hitting your face with completely biased voting soon.
Last Updated: December 9, 2013