Happy Prey day! Bethesda’s latest game has finally gone live and barring anymore lawsuits against indie developers, everything is just fine. Prey is a game of survival and psychosis, a tale of never trusting the shadows you see out the corner of your eyes. If you played the demo, you’d have realised that seeing the light of another day isn’t exactly a given. You could persevere through and finish the game via the ol’ traditional methods.
Or, and hear me out here, you could make use of an exploit present inside of Prey to get your hands on infinite materials for crafting. YouTuber HarryNinetyFour discovered the cheat, which can be broken down into the following steps:
- Step One: Get your hands on any material and a recycler.
- Step Two: Add the material that you want to duplicate, to the recycler.
- Step Three: Switch to your menu so that you can edit what is inside the recycler.
- Step Four: Split the stack, any number of times you want. Nine parts or more should do the trick.
- Step Five: Start recycling.
The steps above will trick Prey into thinking that the recycler held more of the material inside than what was actually present. Do that a couple of times and you’ll have plenty of surplus materials on hand to do whatever you want with. Like build a massive fort. In space. It’s totally what I’d do. Remember, there’s a day one patch for Prey that doesn’t list a fix for the glitch above. Use it or lose it, as the patch offers the following fixes for Yu:
Prey Day One Update Patch Notes
Note: minor story spoilers follow.
- Phantom corpses will now have proper names if they were NPCs that were turned into phantoms.
- Cystoids and Cystoid nests now react appropriately to fast-moving objects.
- Explosive containers will now explode when thrown at technopaths.
- Nightmare will no longer camp objects the player has turned into in front of it.
- Operators can no longer occasionally shoot through walls.
- AI adjusts for difficulty level more effectively.
- Multiple telepaths in an area no longer chain attacks on the player.
- Touching placed grenades while mimicked will no longer cause them to explode.
- Boltcaster can no longer cause zero-damage critical hits.
- Nullwave Transmitter now works on Apex tendrils.
- Technopath can now be hit by sneak attacks with the stun gun.
- Grenades are now affected by lift fields.
- Dropped weapons will now re-equip to favourites wheel when picked up.
- Recycler grenade damage now properly scales with difficulty level.
- Gloo Gun no longer loses functionality after placing too many gloo balls in a level.
- Various Fixes to Mimic Matter ability.
- Player can now open EMP’d doors with their leverage abilities.
- Backlash now properly prevents suit damage while active.
- Player’s attacks will no longer consume Backlash charges.
- Objects targeted by Lift field will be highlighted properly.
- Remote Manipulation can now be used to open most containers.
- Beam Shielding chipset now properly reduces damage from military operators.
- Updated Mimic Detection Gen 2 chipset description to include all mimic types.
- Military operator effects fixed for first-person view.
- Players are now affected by electric floors/water while jumping.
- Telepath will no longer knock player out of the world in Crew Quarters.
- Player will no longer fall out of the world when gravity is restored when they’re upside down.
- Players can now carry destroyed operators properly in Zero-G.
- Hacking minigame will now properly display what object is being hacked in the UI.
- Players can now split stacks when looking at container inventories.
- Various fixes to behaviours when player mimics an operator.
- Localised versions of the game now support switching VO to English.
- Killing Mikhaila with the Q-Beam now only counts as one human killed.
- Quickload loads the most recent save of an type, not just auto-save.
- Addressed several frame rate bugs.
- Addressed several save/load bugs.
- Several crash fixes.
- Various mission and objective marker fixes.
- Various localised text and audio fixes.
- Various SFX fixes.
- Various VFX fixes.
Last Updated: May 5, 2017
May 5, 2017 at 11:57
This game really does look decent.