Another day, another Early Access game! Darkwood is a game which takes place in some creepy woods in Soviet Bloc territory. What the hell is going on there?
According to the games Steam page, the game is a top-down, free-roam, surreal horror experience. Thinking of a top down game as scary really didn’t compute in my mind, at least not until I watched the games new trailer. It genuinely comes across as creepy, with the player only having vision in a cone in front of them. I just know there will be a point in the game where you will turn around and
piss yourself while screaming uncontrollably just like that one time in that other horror game get a fright.
Remember those adventure books where you had to turn to a specific page based on a decision you made? The trailer is interactive in the same sense. Will you run, or will you fight?
Looks like you will meet some interesting characters and enemies along the way. The game has the following features:
- By day, explore the randomly generated woods, scavenge for materials and weapons, discover secrets, solve mysteries and talk, trade with, or kill the various inhabitants of Darkwood.
- By night, find shelter, barricade, set up traps and hide or defend yourself from the horrors that lurk in the dark.
- Gain skills or perks by extracting essence from mutated fauna and flora and injecting it into your bloodstream. This might also have various unexpected consequences…
- Each action you take will have impact on Darkwood and its inhabitants. The choices you make will define the story which you will experience.
- As days go by, the lines between reality and nightmarish fantasies will begin to blur. You will start to question the protagonist’s sanity, but may also stumble upon your own hidden fears…
So basically, its non pixelated, top-down… Minecraft? Explore during the day and barricade and hide at night? Gain abilities and such from the plant life around you? As time passes, question the protagonists sanity? Yeah, I was wondering why I was punching trees with my fist right from the beginning!
Darkwood Early Access releases on the 24th of July. Will you be exploring as soon as the Early Access goes live?
Last Updated: July 21, 2014