You know what the world needs? Half-Life 3! Are we getting it? Probably not anytime soon, if ever. Until then, we fans will just have to locate the nearest corner and assume the fetal position while the almighty Valve broods and ponders their potential creation. Good news though if you’re looking for a temporary fix. Lambda Wars has just entered beta, and it’s completely free and on Steam!
Have no idea what Lambda Wars is? Don’t worry, you’re not alone… I had no idea myself until a short while ago. Here’s what it’s all about (via Pc Gamer):
Lambda Wars is a free multiplayer Source Engine modification for Alien Swarm set in the Half-Life 2 universe that brings the war between mankind and their brutal Combine overlords to a traditional real-time strategy (RTS) setting. Lead the uprising as a commander of the Resistance or crush the rebellion as an overlord of the Combine.
Both factions feature a full host of units, abilities, buildings, research and defenses. Lambda Wars features full-fledged RTS gameplay and a robust RTS interface and is focused on multiplayer but strategic AI opponents and dedicated singleplayer missions are also included.
Fine, it’s not the first-person pewpew action you were looking for, but beggars can’t be choosers! You can’t tell me that doesn’t look awesome though, because it really does. It is a standalone title (ie – no need to jump through hoops) and comes with a ton of features:
- Classic real-time strategy (RTS) gameplay in the Half-Life 2 world
- Multiplayer support and game lobby including spectator mode
- Wide variety of maps for up to 8 human or AI players
- Play as either Combine or Resistance
- Full unit tech tree that allows you to command everything from Manhacks to Striders
- Full-fledged RTS interface and HUD with everything from minimap and fog of war to unit and production building groups
- Build production and research facilities to requisition better units and unlock abilities and upgrades
- Defensive structures, turrets and mines help defend your headquarters and vital resource points
- Multiple game modes
- Singleplayer missions, tutorial map and offline AI skirmish mode
Single player missions? Sounds good to me. I’m no good against actual people! This could be the perfect title for those wanting a change in their regular multiplayer gaming too.
What do you think? Will you be entering the Lambda Wars beta? Is it the unexpected Christmas gift you always wanted? Also, feel free to leave your Half-Life 3 confirmed calculations below!
Last Updated: December 9, 2014
Admiral Chief BellatorMachina
December 9, 2014 at 13:39