When Street Fighter V was released in 2016, it was a little on the anaemic side. With just a handful of characters, very little meaningful single player content and a focus on live service, it wasn’t the hit that Capcom or publisher Sony wanted from one of the world’s most venerated fighting games. Capcom has done a decent job of updating and adding to the game over the years, with characters, stages, modes and more being added through seasonal DLC. People who played the game fastidiously would be able to buy all of these extras with the fight money they earned in the game, while more casual players had to shell out cash.
Despite promising that they wouldn’t re-release Street Fighter V, they did just that with Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition, which was a cheaper bundle of all of the game’s content until then. Original buyers of the game got upgraded to the new edition for free, but they’d lack the new paid-for content. That seems to be happening for a second time, as Capcom has announced Street Fighter V: Champion Edition. Coming in February next year, it’s yet another collection of all of the previous content and characters, at a cool $29.99 selling price. That’s about what the least Season pack cost, showing just how much of a damned rip off those things are.
“This action-packed new version includes all content (excluding Fighting Chance costumes, brand collaboration costumes and Capcom Pro Tour DLC) from both the original release and Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition. It also includes each character, stage and costume that released after Arcade Edition and will release for Champion Edition. That’s 40 characters, 34 stages and over 200 costumes, making Champion Edition the most stacked version of Street Fighter V yet!”
Players of the original release will be updated to this new version for free, with characters getting a new V-skill, along with the regular balance updates. They’ll need to buy or earn characters separately though.
This updated version also include Street Fighter III: Third Strike boss Gil, bringing his mastery of both fire and ice to Street Fighter V.
- What’s Included: Street Fighter V: Champion Edition includes all content from the original release and Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition, plus each character, stage and other content that released after Arcade Edition and the content launching with Champion Edition. In total, this robust version of Street Fighter V includes: 40 characters, 34 stages and over 200 costumes.
- New Features: In addition to the main game and the included characters, stages and costumes, the following new content will be released for Street Fighter V: Champion Edition and will be available as a free update to current players prior to the release of Champion Edition:
- New V-Skills: Each character will receive a new V-Skill 2, adding even more depth to the combat system.
- Balance Update: New gameplay improvements and character-specific updates.
- New Challengers: 11 new challengers (including Gill) have been added to the game after Arcade Edition and will be included in Champion Edition, with one additional soon-to-be announced character bringing the total to 12. All downloadable content characters released after the original version are available for current players by using earned Fight Money or real money.
- PlayStation 4 and PC Cross-Platform Play: Current players and future owners of Street Fighter V: Champion Edition will be placed into the same player pool, with PlayStation 4 and PC cross-platform play continuing to unite fans into a unified player base.
- Stay Updated: The initial Street Fighter V purchase is still the only one that consumers need to make to ensure they always have the most up-to-date version of the title.
Last Updated: November 18, 2019