GTA V is coming to Sony and Microsoft’s new systems next month, with more than just a dash of next-gen polish. It’s also coming with a wealth of brand new content. As a thank you you to those who double dip – or perhaps as a way to extort players in to double dipping – much of that content will only be available to players who’ve bought the game anew.
In a great big Q&A on the next-gen version, Rockstar confirmed that much of the new content we’ve seen for the game will only be available to those who’ve upgraded from the PS3 or Xbox 360 versions of the game – which is great incentive to double dip. Here’s the content that upgraders will be getting.
- New Events & Rewards: Encounter new events happening all across the world, and complete the challenges they present to unlock exclusive new vehicles like the menacing Imponte Duke O’Death and that veritable GTA classic bird of flight, the Dodo seaplane.
- The Imponte Duke O’Death: As you might expect, when you first stumble upon this near-indestructible mayhem machine, trouble will follow. Deal with it judiciously and this beauty’s all yours.
- Murder Mystery: As Michael, follow a trail of cryptic clues to unravel a grisly murder mystery. Put the clues together and you’ll unlock two Noir Style Filters, which will give your Story Mode gameplay and Snapmatic photos the feel of a gritty old school crime classic.
- Weapons: The Rail Gun & Hatchet: Obliterate your adversaries with the high-powered, high-velocity Rail Gun. This piece of experimental military technology also has its own set of Shooting Range Challenges at your local Ammu-Nation shooting range. Or hack and slash foes up close and personal with the brutal Hatchet melee weapon.
- Wildlife Photography Challenge: There are new species of animals across Los Santos and Blaine County, and the LS Tourist Board needs someone to document them. As Franklin, catalog unique animal species scattered across the map to unlock the special Kraken Sub.
- Stock Car Races: Win a series of new Stock Car Races to earn unique custom Muscle Cars adorned with logos from some of the companies that made this country great.
- Monkey Mosaics: A mysterious street artist is tagging walls all across town with his simian-inspired silhouettes. Track down and photograph them all to earn new monkey outfits (available to all players) and a special Go Go Monkey Blista exclusively for returning players.
- New Vehicles and More: Grind up the Los Santos freeways (and over anybody in your path) with the Cheval Marshall monster truck and take to the skies in a faster and more maneuverable Blimp, compliments of Xero Gas.
Players who upgrade will also be able to seamlessly transfer their GTA Online progress over to the new version of the game.
What about the exclusive in-game content I originally received for purchasing the PS3 or Xbox 360 Special Edition or Collectors Edition last year? Will I be able to access that content on PS4, Xbox One or PC?
Yes, if you purchased the Special Edition or the Collector’s Edition last year, when you upgrade to one of the new systems, you will automatically have those items unlocked and accessible. Those in-game bonuses include the Stunt Plane Trials, Bonus Outfits and Tattoos, and the Pistol .50, Bullpup Shotgun and melee Hammer all for Story Mode use; as well as the Custom Classic GTA Parent Characters and the high-end Khamelion electric car for GTA Online. Furthermore, if you missed out on your chance to buy a CE or SE the last time around, we will also make all of that content available for all players on PS4, Xbox One and PC to earn and acquire with in-game cash (original SE and CE owners will not have to spend any in-game cash to obtain them, they will automatically be accessible upon upgrade).
Can you only make the GTA Online character progress transfer once? If I transfer my GTA Online character to the new systems, will I still be able to play with him/her on my PS3 or Xbox 360?
Yes, you will only be able to transfer your character once. After transferring your character to PS4, Xbox One or PC, you can continue playing with him/her on your PS3 or Xbox 360 but the progress you make while playing is not shared to the character you transferred to your new version.
Will PC players also receive the exclusive upgrade content like the Dodo and Dukes?
Yes indeed! The content detailed above will be available to returning players on all three new platforms.
Will any of these updates being made for the new systems be also made available for the previous generation of consoles?
The vastly enhanced graphics and many other gameplay updates on the new versions of Grand Theft Auto V are really only made possible by virtue of the powerful new hardware of the new consoles and PC. Some of the other updates such as the upgrade content detailed above are being designed exclusively as a reward for returning players so those will not be released on the previous versions; however do stay tuned for more updates to be made available for Grand Theft Auto Online across all platforms and we’ll have more information on that soon.
Will my created Jobs transfer over to the new systems?
Yes, any Jobs you’ve published in GTA Online using the Creator tool will transfer over so that you and others can continue playing them on the new platforms. Please be aware however that Leaderboards, Snapmatics, Playlists and bookmarks are unique to the console generation you made them on so those will not carry over. (GTAV photographers should get ready to take all-new high-res Snapmatics!)
Will 30-person GTA Online sessions include competitive modes such as Races and Deathmatches?
Yes, they will! GTA Online on the new systems will support 30 players not just in Free Roam but in competitive modes as well (unless of course the Job you’re playing has been designed to be set to a specifically lower player max). We look forward to seeing what unique matches the community can create for a vastly increased number of players.
Will you double dip? As I’ve said previously: I have no intention to play through the game again, but I’m certainly keen to see what magic the wizards at Rockstar can wrest from the new systems.
Last Updated: October 29, 2014