Well, here’s a piece of bittersweet news with which to get you pumped for the weekend. Despite industry rumours exaggerating the demise of the upcoming sequel to Prey, it would appear that the game itself is not cancelled.
It’s merely been delayed. But for how long?
In statement released earlier, Bethesda confirmed that development on Prey 2 is still ongoing and that the game would see a release. It just won’t be this year that it appears.
Development of Prey 2 has not been cancelled but the game will not be released in 2012 as planned. The delay is due to the fact that game development has not progressed satisfactorily this past year, and the game does not currently meet our quality standards.
Bethesda had been keeping quiet ever since Dutch site PS Focus claimed that the internal developer, Human Head, had been given marching orders from the company.
One rumour however, reveals that the apparent cancellation and subsequent delay, was a result of Human Head being a tad unhappy with the conditions of their contract, from parent group and publisher Zenimax, which resulted in them going on strike.
Shack news says that negotiations fell flat back in January, but picked up again in March, with an apparent resolution being bartered, so that the game could get back on track.
“Prey 2 has shown great promise and we regret disappointing our fans,” Bethesda said.
We have made a substantial investment in game development to deliver the experience fans want. We are determined only to release the AAA game that fans rightfully expect, and are unwilling to compromise our quality standards to meet a release schedule.
So, it looks like we will eventually get to experience some first-person free world roaming in a hive of scum and villainy, far, far away in the cosmos.
Last Updated: April 20, 2012