Oh those good old LAN days, how I miss them! It didn’t matter what new shiny multiplayer game was out because Quake III Arena always made an appearance and stole the spotlight at some point. That multiplayer goodness eventually transitioned into Quake Live, a browser based version which has kept fans happy since 2010. We previously told you about some changes, as well as an upcoming Steam version… it’s landing today.
Want a quick stab of nostalgia? Check out the official Steam launch trailer…
You can’t tell me that didn’t stir some sort of feeling deep down inside of you. The game may have some changes which make it more modern day FPS than the good old shooter we all know and love, but I am really keen to dive back in to rocket jump to kingdom come.
If my maths is correct (unlike Geoff’s), Quake Live will be arriving on Steam at around 10pm here in South Africa. Here’s what you can expect:
- Fast, and furious action. Frag or be fragged in the arena.
- Over 100 arenas, including brand new arenas from id Software, and from throughout the Quake community.
- View your match history, and track your stats throughout your Quake Live career.
- Connect and compete with friends and players from around the world.
It sounds all rather delicious. 100 arenas in which to deal out some fast paced kills? Count me in! What game modes will tie this all together?
- Free For All – It’s every man, woman, and sinister alien being for him/her/itself as the players frag everything that moves to get the most points. Kill or be killed.
- Duel – Players fight each other one-on-one in a 10 minute face-off, while future foes spectate whilst awaiting their turn in battle.
- Team Deathmatch – Two teams of players work to control the arena in a coordinated contest of carnage to score the most frags.
- Clan Arena – Great for new and experienced players alike, players start off with all weapons, and are eliminated once fragged. The last team standing wins the round.
- Capture the Flag – Slip into the other team’s home base, grab their flag, and run home to score.
- Domination – Capture and hold command points placed around the map.
- And more! – Including Freeze Tag, Race, One Flag CTF, Harvester, Attack & Defend, Red Rover, Quad Hog, and Infected!
You know what the best part is? It’s all free to play. I can’t think of a better platform for ID to share their game. I myself live on Steam, so this is perfect for me. Will I be seeing you online for some good old school first person pewpew?
Last Updated: September 17, 2014