Just yesterday I told you that South Africa will have a spot at the Call of Duty Championships in Los Angeles this year and that we didn’t have all the details, well, now we do. Black Ops 2 teams competing on Xbox 360 can sign up for the qualifiers. Here’s everything you need to know.
Megarom, a driving force behind eSports in South Africa, MWEB GameZone and international eSports giants ESL (Electronic Sports League) have teamed up to bring us the Qualifiers that will allow us to compete in this international tournament and greatly reward the winning team. If you aren’t that familiar with eSports, this is a very big deal. Like, never-before-seen, at international standard, big deal. ESL will be hosting the Qualifiers for European regions, Mexico, Brazil, South East Asia and now South Africa.
Registrations will run from now on and will close on 17 March at 13:00. If you want to take part, you have to register on the ESL SA Qualifier site. At 14:30 that day, fixtures will be posted on the public match comments on the ESL website.
In order for teams to be eligible to register and play in the qualifiers, they’ll need to meet some requirements.
- Players must be 18 years or older.
- Players must be a citizen of South Africa.
- Players must hold a passport that is still valid for at least 6 months.
- Players, who are in the final, need to submit a scanned copy of their passport to [email protected] prior to the final commencing. Failure to do this will result in the team being disqualified.
- Players will need to obtain a US visa. For more information on Passports and American Visas go here.
Game format and prizes
Matches will take place on 17 March in the usual 4v4 format. Each round will be a single elimination round until a winner is declared. Matches will be played in the Hardpoint, Capture the Flag and Search and Destroy modes.
The winning team gets the following awesome prizes:
- Entry in the Call of Duty World Championship in Hollywood with the chance to win a share of $1,000,000
- Travel and hotel is included for all offline events.
- Custom team shirts for the winning team, sponsored by MWEB GameZone.
All matches will be hosted by MWEB, Zombiegamer will be making their consoles available for the hosting.
Games will be live streamed from MCave. Those of you would like to watch these matches can keep an eye on the MWEB Facebook and Twitter for details. It’s been confirmed that the matches will be streamed via the MWEB GameZone TwitchTV channel.
If you have any questions or need any help, you can drop by the COD Champs Help Forum.
Check out esports central
Last Updated: October 4, 2017