There’s no doubt that Ubisoft’s The Division is feeling the heat lately. A superb game to start off with, the biggest problem in this infected slice of New York wasn’t the content but rather its stamina. After around 30 hours of carrot and stick action, The Division does tend to get a bit dull. And for a game that is meant to last much, much longer than that it is worrying.
Even worse, hopping back into The Division after a few months away didn’t paint a rosy picture either. Mostly due to the fact that the enemies roaming New York are staggeringly overpowered and can easily wipe a player out within seconds if they haven’t spent hours upon hours getting their hands on new gear. And thus the cycle repeats itself ad infinitum.
But Ubisoft and Splash Damage has taken note of this, as they’ve drafted in fans to help shape The Division going forward with the upcoming 1.4 update. An update that’ll tackle the steep difficulty levels by implementing new World Levels suited to specific gear levels. These worlds will drop gear at the following levels:
- World Tier 1 – 163 common, 182 rare
- World Tier 2 – 182 common, 204 rare
- World Tier 3 – 204 common, 229 rare
- World Tier 4 – 229 common
According to The Division reddit thread, these changes will also include a proper difficulty selection. I’ve copied and pasted that bit below:
After 1.4 the difficulty (normal to heroic) does not affect enemy level anymore, it will affect what types of enemy you fight (normal grunts or elite enemies) and the amount of loot you get:
Normal / Hard / Challenge / Heroic difficulty selection for content
- Normal/Hard/Challenge/Heroic difficulty will not increase enemy level anymore – but the amount of loot you get
- Challenge mode + content will not be scaled to four players per default, so you could play it solo now
- When you are in a group, the enemies still scale up to the number of players.
- Elite NPCs are now smarter as before – so they will not be just bullet sponges but move faster and more tactical.
- Heroic difficulty will only be available for Incursions
- Incursion will be the only content that is balanced for 4 players
You will fight these types of enemies in the different difficulties
- Normal = Mostly normal enemies
- Hard = Normal enemies become Veteran, Veterans become Elite
- Challenging = All enemies are Elite, and changes of fire teams and enemy archetypes
Sounds good! There are a lot of other changes on the way as well but addressing the actual difficulty of The Division is a good start already. The only problem here? Convincing people to stick around for a new and improved version of The Division during the busiest quarter of the year.
Last Updated: September 16, 2016