One of the absolute best comic book series of recent memory has to be Chew. Part X-Files, part Kitchen Nightmares and totally delicious, John Layman and Rob Guillory’s main course masterpiece is the stuff of legend. It wrapped up not too long ago, but fans have been hungry for seconds ever since then, and it looks like Layman and Guillory are finally ready to dish out some desert.
In a three-part crossover with his other book over at Image, Layman will team the world of Chew up with his work in Outer Darkness. “In the years since finishing the final issue of Chew, the urge to return to the world and its characters has been slowly but steadily growing within me,” Layman said to Newsarama.
But I had no interest in returning to some generic ‘Untold Case Files of Tony Chu’ type of story,” Layman said in the announcement. “I wanted to return with a story that goes somewhere new, and says something new about the characters. This crossover will do this. And Outer Darkness, believe it or not, is the ideal vehicle to tell this story.
Outer Darkness and Chew are two of my favorite books I’ve ever done, maybe the favorite books I’ve ever done, and probably the best too. Creatively, combining the two was a dream come true for me. This book is the peanut butter and chocolate of comic book crossovers.
“Returning to the Chew universe was always a no-brainer,” added Guillory.
I mean, after 60+ issues of Tony Chu’s adventures, how could we not? It’s something longtime fans have clamored for since Chew’s end, and this crossover is the perfect excuse to dive back into the insane world John and I created. It’s the perfect ode to Chew, while highlighting the amazing work John and the insanely talented Afu Chan have been doing on Outer Darkness. It’s two great books that just taste great together.
The crossover kicks off in March, with Guillory and Outer Darkness artist Afu Chan on art duties. Now, onto the best comic book covers of the week!
- Detective Comics #1017 by Tony Daniel
- The Immortal Hulk #28 by Alex Ross
- Superman #18 by Skan
- Batman: Curse of the White Knight #5 by Sean Gordon Murphy
- New Mutants #3 by Rod Reis
- Captain America #17 by Alex Ross
- Gideon Falls #19 by Andrea Sorrentino
- Deadly Class #42 by Matteo Scalera and Moreno DiNisio
- Miles Morales: Spider-Man #13 by Rahzzah
- Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #14 by Andrew Robinson
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #100 by Dave Wachter
- Undiscovered Country #2 by Francis Manapul
- Hawkman #19 by Dan Panosian
- Tales From The Dark Multiverse: The Judas Contract #1 by Stanley Lau
- Something Is Killing The Children #4 by Michael Walsh
- Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy #4 by Mikel Janin
- Punisher Soviet #2 by Marcos Martin
- Go Go Power Rangers #26 by Amelia Vidal
- Spider-Man 2099 #1 by Jose Carlos Silva
- Dark Knight Returns: The Golden Child #1 by Rafael Grampa
- The Dollhouse Family #2 by Jessica Dalva
- Doom 2099 #1 by Max Fiumara
- Harley Quinn: Villain of the Year #1 by Warren Louw
- Morbius #2 by Ryan Brown
- Life Is Strange #11 by Claudia Leonardi
- RWBY #3 by Sarah Stone
- Doctor Mirage #5 by Caspar Wingjaard
- Steven Universe #35 by Borg Sinaban
- Red Mother #1 by Jeremy Haun
- Vampirella / Red Sonja #4 by Julian Totino Tedesco
- Aliens Vs. Predator: Thicker Than Blood #1 by Chun Lo
- Bettie Page: Unbound #7 by John Royle
- Shoplifters Will Be Liquidated #3 by Stefano Simeone
- Black Terror #3 by Rahzzah
- Kiss/Zombies #2 by Arthur Suydam
Last Updated: December 9, 2019