Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- Looks like you can now add a certain Doctor’s mysterious name to the list of people that Arya Stark intends to kill. As we recently told you, Game of Thrones star Maisie Williams will be showing up in a future episode of Doctor Who, and now the first pics of her in costume on set have shown up. Williams appears to be playing some sort of 18th-century highwayman (highwaygirl?) who gets to shoot Peter Capaldi’s Doctor.
- Despite the fact that I was certain he was going to get publicly flogged for Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2, somebody has actually decided to give Kevin James another action-comedy movie. That man is Kick-Ass 2 director Jeff Wadlow, who will direct James in The True Memoirs of an International Assassin. The flick, which is actually from a Black List script, will see James as “a mild-mannered accountant and would-be author (who) is mistaken for a killer-for-hire when his fictional novel about an international assassin is published as a true story. Trying to escape his sudden fame and celebrity, he heads to Belize but is immediately entangled in an assassination plot. Thrown into a world of real danger, he must find a way to channel his lead character Colt Rodgers and save the day.”
- Poster of the day: A Nightmare on Elm Street
- Yes, I know we’ve already had the Poster of the day, but this new poster for Ant-Man is not it. For one thing, it’s actually pretty crappy, especially compared with the brilliant first poster. What is interesting about it though is the tagline “From the studio that brought you Guardians of the Galaxy“. On previous Marvel movies, a similar tagline used to end in “The Avengers”. Is Guardians the new Marvel quality yardstick, or are they just trying to subtly tell people to expect the same kind of weirdness here?
- Speaking of Marvel, yesterday we showed you what a perfect The Punisher movie would look like. But you know what would make it even more perfect? If Tom Hardy was the Punisher. And oh my stars and garters, would you look at that: Tom Hardy wants to be the Punisher. Make this happen, Marvel. Make this happen now!
- Yesterday, social media lost one of it’s biggest voices. No, not Joss Whedon. I’m talking about Jaden Smith, who has now quit Twitter. Now that the internet sage has left us though, where will we find pearls of wisdom such as these?
- Earlier today, we had Joss Whedon reveal all the behind-the-scenes secrets of Avengers: Age of Ultron, but what about the secrets in the scenes? Well, that’s where this video has you covered, showing off all the movie’s many Easter Eggs. Obviously, SPOILER WARNING for anybody that hasn’t seen the movie yet. Also, IMMINENT SHUNNING WARNING for anybody that hasn’t seen the movie yet
- Despite my comic book geek credentials, I’ve yet to watch a single episode of iZombie, CW’s other adaptation that isn’t The Flash and Arrow. But it looks like I may be the odd case here and a whole lot of you are watching as the US TV network has just renewed the show for a second season.
- Nowadays, PG-13 has become a bit of a swear word among fans, as we’ve seen our favourite action heroes get nerfed in favour of catering to a bigger audience. But where did PG-13 come from? Well, you can totally blame Steven Spielberg for that one.
- Beverly Hills Cop 4 is dead in the water. No, it’s not cancelled yet, but it’s as close as it could be to that fate, as its being reported that the movie has been completely removed off Paramount’s release schedule. This was supposed to be Eddie Murphy’s big comeback vehicle, but it would appear that what the actor said earlier in the year is indefinitely delaying this possible return to his one time fame.
“They[‘re] still trying to get that script right. I’m not doing a ‘Beverly Hills Cop’ unless they have a really incredible script. I’ve read a couple things that look like they can make some paper, but I’m not doing a shitty movie just to make some paper. The shit got to be right.”
- For most people who saw Fifty Shades of Grey, the biggest flogging in the movie happened to their brains for seeing Fifty Shades of Grey. So of course the folks at Honest Trailers have targeted it, and invited into their Red Room of Ridicule.
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last Updated: May 7, 2015