Welcome to The Extras! A daily dose of all the smaller movie related news, clips and just plain cool stuff that you might have missed!
- A person who will probably no longer be known as my friend, linked me to this list of the Top 10 Annoyingly Catchy Songs of all time yesterday. Luckily for his currently un-punched face, that led me to this list of the Top 10 Horror Movie Theme Songs, which is totally cool.
- Looks like Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn may be going back to her Batman: The Animated Series roots in the upcoming Suicide Squad, at least when it comes to her costumes. According to the latest rumour from Latino Review’s Umberto Gonzales, the fan favourite character will have a few different looks in the film, with some taking inspiration – right down to the furry animal accessories – from the classic cartoon show on which she first debuted.
“Harley Quinn has a few looks throughout the film. Going from traditional with the animated series as a reference to prison attire & in one sequence where they infiltrate a club she wears a dress. Get this, her & Joker’s pet Hyena’s are in the film briefly. Apparently, Harley with the hyena’s are a big motif.”
- Poster of the day: The Car (Check out James’ Cinophile article on this cult classic)
- So remember that story about Netflix producing a live-action Legend of Zelda TV series? Yeah, that ain’t true at all. Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata i.e. the guy who should know about these things, told Time Magazine that the original article posted by Wall Street Journal is total bupkiss.
“As of now, I have nothing new to share with you in regard to the use of our IPs for any TV shows or films, but I can at least confirm that the article in question is not based on correct information.”
- Hey, all you triskaidekaphobia sufferers, this one’s for you! Hot off the success of Vikings, History Channel will be developing a new scripted drama series titled Knightfall. The series, which will be produced by Jeremy “Hawkeye” Renner, will be “chronicling the actual events leading up to and following the persecution, downfall and burning at the stake of the Knights Templar on Friday the 13th, 1307.” That event is what actually gave birth to the negative superstitious belief surrounding Friday the 13th.
- The name of Thomas Edison occupies a rightful place in history as one of the greatest inventors of our time. He may even have invented film piracy!
- Get ready for ALL DA STUNTZ! in Marvel’s upcoming Daredevil Netflix series. That’s according to veteran actor Scott Glenn, who plays the titular blind hero’s ninja master Stick, who claims that “Daredevil is probably the most stunt heavy TV series ever shot.” Well, damn.
- One of my favourite indie comics of all time, Joe Kelly’s incredible I Kill Giants, is being made into a movie produced by Chris Columbus! I would be extremely happy about this if it wasn’t for the fact that just thinking about the comic makes me want to cry like Nick at a One Direction concert all over again. Sniff!
- We’ve already covered all the dudes that will be showing up in Independence Day 2, but now it’s time for some casting news around some… *cough* independent women. It’s being reported that Vivica A. Fox will be reprising her role from the original film as Jasmine Dubrow, the then-girlfriend of Will Smith’s Steven Hiller. It’s also been announced that regular Lars Von Trier collaborator Charlotte Gainsbourg will also be joining the sequel in an undisclosed role. Based on her most recent filmography, I’m guessing she’s going to be playing a negligent mother and nymphomaniac wife into genital mutilation who is awaiting the end of the world.
- When an 11-year old Arrow fan named Nataly sent out one of the coolest birthday party invites I’ve seen in ages, it somehow came to the attention of Arrow star Stephen Amell. The actor, who has constantly proven himself on social media to just be a really swell dude with a genuine love for his fans, wanted to do something to surprise the young girl, and recorded this message to wish her. Aw, Amell. Keep being awesome.
- I guess you could say that nobody told Harry Potter that he’s life was gonna be this way. His job (as the source of this prophecy) is a joke, he’s broke (before he discovered his heritage) and his love life is DOA (You blew it with Cho Chang, Harry!). Taking all that into consideration, this Friends-style Harry Potter intro song sure seems fitting.
If you have anything you would like to contribute to Extras, whether it be interesting stories, funny videos, or artistic photos of yourself in morally questionable poses, feel free to drop a mail to email@example.com.
Last Updated: March 24, 2015