Borderlands 2 is out this week – and we’re all chomping at the bit to return to Pandora for some lootin’ and shootin’. Well except for Yolanda, who’s shown little to no interest in the role-playing shooter and has been banished to the basement. As is the norm – for no good reason that we can ascertain – the game’s out in the US three days before it washes up on European (and African!) shores, so reviews for the game have been coming through hard and fast…just the way Darryn likes it.
Here’s what the scores are looking like.
- CVG: 8.5: "Borderlands 2 is saved from XP strip-mining by a sharp sense of humour and a slick, destructive multiplayer.”
- Edge: 9 – "Gearbox knows more about the fundamentals of the shooter than almost any other developer."
- Destructoid: 8.5 – “If you are up for a good laugh while shooting things in the face, Borderlands 2 is a worthy game to add to your collection. Soon enough, you’ll see numbers popping above people’s heads in real life and will feel compelled to search every Porta Potty on the street for cash.”
- Eurogamer: 9 – "Borderlands 2 is still a hillbilly moonshiner sort of game, then, but it’s the hillbilly at his canny, tinkering, big-dreaming best."
- GamesRadar: 8 – "If you like to shoot, and you dig collecting loot, Borderlands 2 has enough to scratch your itch for some time to come."
- GameSpot: 8.5 – "Stellar writing and a host of small improvements help Borderlands 2 stand tall on the shoulders of its predecessor."
- IGN: 9 – "Love to collect loot, level up a hero and shoot guys in the face? Then get Borderlands 2 right now."
- NowGamer: 9.4 – "Ocean-deep and country-wide, this huge RPG will keep you going for months before you even need to think about DLC. Oh, and it’s probably one of the best co-op games you’ll ever play."
- OXM UK: 9 – "The words "awesome" and "badass" are used a lot in this game, but Gearbox has earned the right."
- OXM US: 9: "Developer Gearbox hasn’t messed with success, wisely opting to refine and improve what made the original so great."
- OPM UK: 9: "If you’re tired of brown military shooters and crying out for something different, then get involved – this is one of the most imaginative and rewarding blasters of the year."
- Polygon: 7.5: “Borderlands 2 is unquestionably a better game than Borderlands. The new emphasis on elemental weapons and dismemberment make for better combat scenarios, and the constant character improvement is a great push forward for players looking for long-term rewards.”
- VideoGamer: 9 – "On paper, this sequel reads much the same as the original. But it’s not – it’s a vastly superior game."
The game’s currently sitting with a Metacritic average of 90 on Xbox, 91 on PS3 and 88 on PC. It seems that if you loved the first Borderlands, you’re going to love this one even more – but if the first didn’t tickle you, this probably isn’t going to turn you in to a believer. Friday can’t come soon enough.
Last Updated: September 18, 2012