History has a way of repeating itself. When Dark souls was released on PC, it was broken. Despite good intentions and promises from Bandai Namco regarding the PC port of Dark Souls 2, it seems we’re looking at a broken port of the Pc version of everybody’s favourite death simulator.
Here’s a list of the things that Bandai knows is wrong with the Pc version right now. Issues range from just not working, to infuriatingly, working but then not recognising any game inputs, making the bloody thing much more difficult than it need be.
Dark Souls 2 PC issues
- Crashing on startup: We are currently investigating and escalating this issue. Some possible work-arounds can be found here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/236430/discussions/0/558754259683457381/
We’ll keep this space updated as we know more
- Reports of some previously VAC banned players are unable to play online in Dark Souls II. We will update this space when we have more information on this topic.
- Dark Souls II does not recognize or take input from my controller. If you are experiencing this problem, try the following: "Open up Device Manager and under Human Interface Devices, right click and disable all HID-compliant game controllers, and if you have a G13 disable the Logitch G13 Joystick. Restart the game and it should work. You may also need to disable any virtual HID-compliant game controllers as well." If you continue to experience this issue, please get in touch with our support team and let them know what controller you are trying to use. We’ll do our best to assist you from there. We will continue to update this space with more information on this issue.
- Reports of players having issues with Keyboard and Mouse controls. We are currently investigating this topic. Please post here with detailed descriptions of your experiences. We will continue to update this space with details as we have them.
- I do not know where my pre-order bonuses are. "Should be located in "x:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Dark Souls II\DARK SOULSâ- DIGITAL EXTRAS" if you have it. Make sure you have the preorder content listed under the games dlc as well." Thank you Cute Little Girl for the post. We will continue to update this space with more information as we have it. If you still don’t have access to your pre-order items, please get in touch with our support team.
You can see the list of issues on the Steam support forum. another issue not listed is that many are experiencing a black screen issue. The game seems to run – but players are confronted with little more than 1920×1080 black pixels. Others complain of not being able to remap controls, with others still complaining of terrible input lag.
Dark Souls 2 looks pretty good on the PC (compared to Dark Souls 1, at least) – but that extra visual fidelity means nothing if the game doesn’t work. The game is out digitally today – but has been delayed here on PC until May 2. You might want to wait until it’s been patched a few times.
Last Updated: April 25, 2014