It might not have the biggest following around, but Drakenguard certainly does have one of the more dedicated groups of fans in gaming. A third game arrives later this year, and of course, it’ll have a shiny special edition.
“So, thanks for all your feedback on the Drakengard 3 release plans in Europe,” Square Enix blog’s Lee Williams wrote about there being no limited edition for Europe when the game was first announced.
Frankly, we’re humbled to have such dedicated fans, and while it’s not always easy when people are upset about something, we have been passing your feedback on to the game teams – and today we wanted to give you a full update on the results.
It’s taken a bit of time – these things always do – but we are now ready to announce that in response to that feedback, we will be releasing a Collector’s Edition for Drakengard 3 in Europe, and that it will feature the Japanese voice-over content too.
We’ll be putting out a press release about this pretty soon, but as you’re the ones that took the time to give us the feedback, we wanted you to know first.
There’s a catch though. Square Enix is only making 2000 of these particular special editions available in Europe, so you’ll need to move fast. And most likely eat canned dog food this month. Here’s what you’ll get inside that collector’s edition, according to the house of Square Enix. Click to embiggen.
- Clamshell Box – An eloquent display case featuring the flower that grows from Zero’s eye.
- Hardback Novella – This beautifully illustrated 160 page prequel story to Drakengard 3 (available in English language only) contains a collection of short stories written from the perspectives of each character.
- Add-on Pack – Downloadable tokens for the Ciam costume, an additional level where you play as One, Zero’s sister, and a Giant Baby Hat (yes, an enormous baby’s head for your dragon, Mikhail).
- Music Sampler CD – A CD containing a selection of mesmerising tracks from the game’s original soundtrack, composed by Keiichi Okabe (who also created the score for Nier).
- Double Sided Poster – A collectable double sided poster only available in the Collector’s Edition of Drakengard 3.
- The Game – While there won’t be a physical disc version of the Drakengard 3 for Europe and PAL territories, a download token will be included inside the box which you can redeem on the PlayStation Store.
- Japanese Voice DLC – Experience the game in its original audio with a download token for the original Japanese voice acting! This DLC is part of the Collector’s Edition, but will also be available for non-CE owners when you pre-order the standard digital game through the PlayStation Store.
The collector’s edition is priced at €69.99. In local terms, that equates to over a R1000. Or a round trip on an e-tolled Joburg highway.
Last Updated: April 3, 2014