If you have a copy of Zelda’s latest adventure, Skyward Sword, then you need to take a moment to read this as Nintendo has announced a possible game ending bug that has been found.
Unfortunately to explain how the bug occurs we’re going to need to give out some info about the game but it’s not the worst spoilers and you’re going to want to make sure you don’t do this.
Here is the official email as posted by ZeldaInformer
We have been made aware of the issue that results in being unable to progress in the Song of the Hero quest. If the game has been saved after completing the sequence of events, it will no longer be possible to proceed through the game on that save file. The only options at that point are to either start the game over or to use an earlier save file to continue.
The situation is caused by performing the following sequence of events during the Song of the Hero quest:
1. At the beginning of the quest, go to Lanayru Desert to retrieve the song of the Thunder Dragon.
2. In the Lanayru Mine, speak with Golo the Goron.
3. Complete the Thunder Dragon’s event, and receive his song.
4. Before heading to the forest or volcano regions, speak with Golo in the mine again.
5. At this point, the forest and volcano events will no longer occur, making it impossible to continue.
• This issue WILL NOT OCCUR if the Fire and Water Dragon songs have already been collected before collecting the Thunder Dragon’s song. Talking to Golo in the Lanayru Caves will also NOT trigger this issue.
• If the game has been saved after completing the sequence of events, it will no longer be possible to proceed through the game on that save file. The only options at that point are to either start the game over or to use an earlier save file to continue.
I wish I had a better answer, but I’m afraid there currently is no other fix available. I can assure, however, that we are documenting all feedback we receive on this issue. Thank you for your patience and support.
So there you have it, if you are playing this game now make sure you don’t speak to Golo again otherwise your entire experience could be ruined. I’m sure they are going to work on a patch for this but if you’re Wii isn’t online then that’s really not going to help you.
And if you’re not playing this game then you really should, Geoff said it was excellent.
Last Updated: December 7, 2011