Sony has recently stolen the indie game limelight by putting their indie offerings front and centre in all their recent press events and launch parties. While Microsoft has seen to be moving away from the indie base and only going after the big name publishers.
Well that is all starting to change with the announcement of the ridiculously named ID@Xbox program where indie developers will be helped by Microsoft to publish on their platform. Previously they stated that the games must be Xbox One exclusives before helping out which wasn’t received well, so now Microsoft has once again back-tracked and are now only asking for platform release parity.
They have also come out and released a list of the most prominent people currently working on indie titles for the Xbox One some of which are virtually household names already like Half Brick, makers of Fruit Ninja and Crytek, makers of everything beautiful.
- Comcept – for Mighty No. 9
- Vlambeer – “considering” Nuclear Throne for Xbox One
- Double Eleven
- Slightly Mad Studios – for Project Cars
- Born Ready – will announce new games in 2014
- Crytek – an unnanounced self-published game
- Happion Labs (Jamie Fristrom) – Energy Hook
- Definition 6 (Chris Hecker) – Spy Party
- Team 17 – “we’re a founding member of the ID@Xbox program, which is something we’ve been pushing for since 2009 to self-publish. We’re also delighted to be working with Sony on a PS4 title. However, those titles are something I’ll be able to talk more about in full next year!”
- Panic Button
- Double Fine
- Drinkbox (Chris McQuinn) – “Can’t quite say a whole lot atm, mainly because we’re not too sure ourselves, but, I can confirm that we are working on a Xbox One title. As for working with MS – well – it’s still really really early, so get back to me in a few months on that question.”
- Team Colorblind
- Signal Studios
- Zen Studios – “We are not ready to announce actual titles just yet, but we have several projects in the works and should be able to talk about them after the beginning of the year.”
- Ninja Bee
- Zeboyd Games – Cosmic Star Heroine
- The Men Who Wear Many Hats
- Iron Galaxy – Divekick
- Jackbox Games
- High Voltage Software
- Hidden Path
- Gaijin Games
- The Odd Gentlemen
- Other Ocean
According to Chris Charla of ID@Xbox this list is not definitive list of all the developers working on games for the Xbox One or that they are all exclusive but it’s good to see that the black beast from Microsoft is also getting some indie love. Especially since indie gaming seems to be the flavour of the day right now.
Last Updated: December 5, 2013