Home Gaming New Nintendo console to ship 12 million units in 2016?

New Nintendo console to ship 12 million units in 2016?

1 min read


Nintendo’s new console is coming in the not-too-distant future. Currently called the NX, it’s a system we know close to nothing about. The speculation, conjecture and uneducated guesswork suggests it could be a hybrid system that blends the best of the company’s handhelds with the best of its home consoles (and then sticks Mario on everything, hooray!).

We have no idea when the NX is coming, or when we’ll get an official announcement. According to Digitimes, we can expect the system next year. In fact, they the system is set to hit mass production next year, with Nintendo eyeing shipments of up to 12 million units by year’s end.

They suggest that the company who makes just about everything, Foxconn, has ben pegged to produce the system

“The new console is estimated to enter mass shipments in the second quarter. In addition to Foxconn, suppliers such as Foxconn Technology, Macronix, Pixart Imaging, Coxon Precise Industrial, Nishoku Technology, Delta Technology, Lingsen Precision Industries and Jentech will also supply components for the device.”

I find the information a little suspect, but if it’s true, I think 12 million shipped in its first year is a little optimistic – particularly given the negative perception surrounding the Wii U.

Industry Analyst Michael Pachter doesn’t think we’ll see the system in 2016 either. He suggests Nintendo will do as it always has; demonstrate the system at E3, and then release it a year and a half later.

“I would say 20% chance it comes out in 2016 in the U.S., 80% chance it comes out in 2017. If you don’t see it before E3, there’s a 0% chance it’s coming out in 2016,” he said on the Pachter Factor.

I’d love for Nintendo’s newest system to wow us next year, because the Wii U has caused me little more than sadness. The system held such potential, and is home to some of the most wonderful (101!) games in Nintendo’s history. A lack of third party support, however, has relegated the thing to being this generation’s Gamecube.

Last Updated: December 1, 2015


  1. Raptor Rants

    December 1, 2015 at 08:04

    Why even bother quoting what Patcher says anymore? He is to the games stats and predictions what moly moly is to game industry promises


    • Hammersteyn

      December 1, 2015 at 08:21



    • Alien Emperor Trevor

      December 1, 2015 at 08:27

      Nintendo is doomed!


  2. Umar

    December 1, 2015 at 08:11

    oooooh I’m so excited to see what this console is all about. I’m very worried about it though, especially with the PS4 killing it sales wise. Just hope they don’t shoot themselves in the foot with this one.


  3. Allykhat

    December 1, 2015 at 09:04

    While my interest is piqued, 12 million? After the abismal performance of the WiiU? There’s some serious optimism going on there.


  4. forever_rachel

    December 1, 2015 at 09:20

    As if GameCube hadn’t been a system with many masterworks, just falling in an age where masterworks weren’t understood anymore.


  5. HairyEwok

    December 1, 2015 at 09:58

    I’m going to Japan next year so hopefully my whole vacation won’t be a flurry of Nintendo advertisements everywhere.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

The Nintendo Switch Version 12.0.3 was released and then retracted after just a few hours

The update was only available for a few hours before Nintendo pulled it all back, offering…