I hear you guys, I truly do. You’re wondering why you should play Destiny 2 right now. Why should you hop back in, when you’ve done everything there is to do? You’re bored, you’re going through the motions essentially and while a quick Strike or a night spent racing in that f*cking gauntlet of the Leviathan is still satisfactory fun with friends, the truth of the matter is…well you’re bored right now with Destiny 2 and couldn’t be arsed enough to jump back in for anything less than a decent gun sale at Xur’s place.
I know this, because that’s exactly how I’m feeling at the moment. Me. The guy who is still pondering a Destiny tattoo. Or a matching anchor tattoo with Alessandro, because I don’t want our friendship to float away bruv. Anyway, there’s an entire nine months left between here and the inevitable September expansion in the Destiny 2 cycle that will likely bring players back.
To get there however, Bungie needs to keep its pool of Guardians active and interested. After a few weeks of being incommunicado, Bungie and Destiny 2 game director Christopher Barrett broke their silence with a new look at the months ahead of Guardians. In a nutshell (HELP I’M IN A NUT HOW DID THIS HAPPEN), Barrett revealed that the January 30 update would be the beginning of more sweeping changes to the sandbox that would be available to all players, regardless of whether or not they’d bought the latest expansion.
The updates will add community-requested features that includes ranked PVP, private Crucible matches and an overhaul of Raid rewards. The full list below, but in case that’s a 450 Light TL,DR Raid boss for you, here’s ten points which I reckon are the most pertinent:
- Raid rewards are being reworked to be more “unique and interesting”.
- The Masterwork system will be expanded to include armour as well
- Armour and Weapon mods are being overhauled so that players have fewer redundant mods and more unique themes with which to increase their power in February.
- New ranking systems are being introduced to the Crucible.
- 6v6 fireteams for the Crucible are making a comeback.
- Private Crucible matchmaking will also be reintroduced.
- More modifiers will be introduced to Heroic Strikes
- A Strike Score system will replace the time limit in Nightfall strikes
- Improved pacing for the gameplay of Quickplay matches
- You’ll be able to locate your fireteam members’ location on the Destination map
You can read the hefty patch notes below, as Destiny 2 continues to evolve.
Destiny 2 January 30 Update
- We are expanding the Masterwork system to include armor.
- Masterwork Armor provides increased damage reduction while using your Super.
- You can reroll the armor stat type on Masterwork Armor, and similar to Masterwork weapons, you can upgrade a piece of armor to Masterwork by spending Masterwork Cores and Legendary Shards.
Raid Reward Rework
We are updating Raid rewards to make them more unique and interesting. They will now feature mods with Raid-specific perks, and we are adjusting the rewards to ensure a Raid item drops from each major encounter. The Raid vendor will also directly sell Leviathan and Eater of Worlds armor and weapons for purchase with Raid tokens and Legendary Shards.
We are also adding a new Ghost with Raid-specific perks that has a chance to drop from the Leviathan and Eater of Worlds final encounters. We intend to return to creating more Raid and other activity-unique rewards in the future.
Destiny 2 February Update
Strike Scoring + High Score Tracking
Strike Scoring is coming to Nightfall and replacing the current time limit mechanic. The scoring is similar to the Destiny 1 system but with adjustments to emphasize competitive execution of Strike objectives and support for player selectable score modifiers. In February, Nightfall High Scores will be exposed in-game via new emblems and will unlock rewards. We also have plans for Clan and Community High Scores in the works.
Work is underway on a full rework of armor and weapon mods. This will focus on reducing redundant mods, more unique theming, and greatly increasing their impact on your power. We are aiming for a February release, but the scope of the rework could push parts or all of it out to early spring. We will be evaluating how Mods play into the Bright Engram economy as a result, because we’re sensitive to pay-to-win outcomes.
We are adjusting game mode rules to increase the pace of gameplay and power ammo acquisition in Quickplay.
PC Tower Chat
We are adding text chat to the Tower for the PC version of the game.
Exotic Repetition Reduction
This will prevent players from receiving the same Exotic twice in a row. You may still receive duplicates, just not consecutively.
Fireteam Members on Destination Map
You will finally be able to see the other members of your fireteam on the destination map. No more having to ask your fireteam where they went when they fast travel to another landing zone.
Destiny 2 Spring 2018 updates
Crucible – We want to give players new reasons to play, more variety, and balance improvements. Spring will bring a number of exciting and long awaited features to the Crucible.
Beginning with Season 3 we will introduce Seasonal Crucible Ranks. There will be two different ranks for players to pursue:
- Valor – A progression rank that goes up as you complete matches. Winning helps you move up faster, but there are no loss penalties.
- Glory – A progression rank that goes up when you win and down when you lose. Performance is how you move up here.
Private Matches – Private Matches are coming to all players of Destiny 2. Players will be able to invite their friends to play on the map and mode of their choosing.
6v6 Playlist – We’re bringing 6v6 PvP to Destiny 2 in addition to the current 4v4 game modes.
Mayhem Event – Mayhem will return as a limited-time event during Season 3 and going forward.
Additional Fixes – We are making some changes to make quitting less common and behind-the-scenes security improvements to help improve the overall Crucible experience.
- Weapon and Ability Balance Pass – Sandbox adjustments based on player feedback and data from the live game. The Sandbox team will share specific changes as we lead up to Season 3.
- Exotic Weapon and Armor Balance Pass – Exotic weapons and armor are receiving a comprehensive design pass to ensure they stand out from the rest of the gear and offer new, exciting, powerful ways to play.
- Seasonal Reputation – Specific vendors will now display a Seasonal ranking. Earning reputation will unlock unique Seasonal rewards and will reset each Season.
- Improved Iron Banner and Faction Rallies – In addition to the changes that you will see when Iron Banner and Faction Rallies return this month, we will continue iterating on these to make them unique, exciting experiences that you all look forward to.
- Playlist Repetition Reduction – This feature solves the problem of experiencing the same playlist entry multiple times in consecutive or frequent succession for both Crucible and Strikes.
- End Game Player Pursuits – We agree with your feedback on the imbalance between Achievement and Bright Engram rewards, and we will be making adjustments to shift more rewards into specific endgame pursuits instead of generic XP grinding for Bright Engrams.
- Multi-Emote – When multi-emote launches, you will be able to choose which emote you have equipped to each of your four emote slots.
- Vault space – We are targeting an additional 50 slots to player vaults. We don’t believe just adding more space is a complete solution and are actively working on other changes to reduce load on your vault space. We are adding an Exotic accessory tab to Vault collections so you will no longer need to spend Vault space on Exotic Ships, Sparrows, and Ghosts.
- PC Clan Chat – In addition to the Tower chat that is targeted for February, we are adding clan chat to the PC version of the game.
- Heroic Strike Changes – We’ll be introducing modifiers to add more gameplay variety to the experience.
Destiny 2 Fall 2018 updates
- Item Collections and Records
- Weapon Slot and Archetype Improvements
- Additional Crucible Playlists (e.g. Rumble)
- Better Clan Rewards
- Masterwork Exotics
- Pinnacle Weapon and Gear Improvements
- Trials of the Nine improvements
- Shaders and dismantling
- The Future of Guided Games
- Address Solo Vs Fireteam matching
Last Updated: January 12, 2018