Today when you get home and boot up your Xbox 360 – probably so you can take on pirates and ninjas in Borderlands 2’s new DLC, you could well be greeted with a Dashboard update, because the new one’s started rolling out today.
Courtesy of Major Nelson, here’s what you can expect from the latest updated:
- Refreshed Xbox 360 Dashboard. We’ve updated the UI with a few things, including an updated layout with more tiles, a combined TV & Movies channel and, in the US, a Sports destination.
- Internet Explorer for Xbox. With Internet Explorer on Xbox, you can easily find and view internet content on the biggest screen in the house, including HTML5 videos.
- Recommendations and Ratings. Recommendations will allow you to discover new favourites, generated based on a number of variables including the content you previously viewed, what your friends are consuming and what is most relevant and popular with our Xbox community. You can now rate content yourself and also see Rotten Tomatoes ratings.
- Pinning. Pinning lets you personalize the dashboard by saving your favourite movies, TV shows, games, music, videos and websites right to the home screen. It’s as easy as opening an app or a favourite movie and clicking “pin.”
- Xbox Video. Formerly called Zune Video Marketplace, Xbox Video offers hundreds of thousands of TV shows and movies for buying or renting in instant HD streaming.
- Recent. Previously called Quick Play, the Recent view gives you a list of movies, games, apps or other types of content that you most recently accessed on the console.
- Enhanced Search. The last Xbox LIVE update brought Bing voice search to Xbox so you could use voice to search for movies, TV shows, actors, directors and artists. This year we added genre search to the list, so now you can search for action, comedy, romance, drama or sci-fi. Bing voice search now includes results for video across the Web, including YouTube.
- International Expansion of Voice Search. We’ve expanded our Kinect voice search capabilities to 9 new countries – Canada, France, Germany, Japan, Mexico, Italy, Spain, Austria, and Ireland.
Remember, this is the one that adds Internet Explorer – and according to some clever marketing types, that means that your Xbox is now a YouPorn-enabled XXXbox (which you can now PIN to your start page!). What it isn’t – not yet anyway – is a Smartglass enabled device. According to the Major, the apps to enable that will only be available after Windows 8
Last Updated: October 16, 2012