Ever since Lucasfilm announced the production of a new Star Wars trilogy, we’ve been bombarded by dodgy rumour after suspect hearsay. It means that we’ve had to sift through a lot of Bantha poodoo, but it looks like we may have finally got our first solid bit of news for Star Wars: Episode VII as BleedingCool have managed to track down what appears to be the casting breakdown of the seven lead roles.
Since they first posted the story, this list has also been verified by TheForce.net, who spoke to Lucasfilm spokesman Miles Perkins, who confirmed it as the genuine article.
The casting breakdowns don’t contain any specific character details, but they’re still very telling:
– Late-teen female, independent, good sense of humour, fit.
– Young twenty-something male, witty and smart, fit but not traditionally good looking.
– A late twentysomething male, fit, handsome and confident.
– Seventy-something male, with strong opinions and tough demeanour. Also doesn’ t need to be particularly fit.
– A second young female, also late teens, tough, smart and fit.
– Forty something male, fit, military type.
– Thirtysomething male, intellectual. Apparently doesn’t need to be fit.
The “late-teen female” certainly fits with initial reports that Lucasfilm wanted a female lead for the new trilogy, however most assumed that this would be Jaina Solo (daughter of Han and Leia) and that she would be the co-lead along with her brother Jaicen. However, the pair are supposed to be twins, which doesn’t match up with the only other young male lead on that list due to a slight age difference.
This leads me to believe that Lucasfilm really are going to give the Extended Universe stories the finger and are creating their own standalone canon.
As for the other roles, the “seventy-something male” sounds like it could be a Jedi master of some sort. And while it’s undoubtedly the longest of shots, I’m going to keep my fingers, toes, legs and arms crossed that the “Forty something male, fit, military type” is none other than Star Wars’ most famous military leader, Grand Admiral Thrawn.
What do you guys think of the breakdowns? Any ideas as to which characters fit these molds?
Last Updated: June 20, 2013